Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep in a young orchard  (Read 5947 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Sheep in a young orchard
« on: October 07, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »
We are looking to plant an orchard on a 2 acre steep field. We currently keep hens there and having some trees would be a good synergy with this enterprise. The problem we have at the moment is the work (and fuel) involved in moving the grass to keep it down for the electric netting. We are planning on mobile houses with poultry nets which we can move from time to time around the orchard to rest areas of land. So we figured a few sheep would be good as lawn mowers to be moved in a mob formation.

What sort of breeds would you be looking at for this? Maybe buying lambs in spring to mow the field and slaughter in late autumn once the grass has stopped. Lowest maintenence possible. Also, what number would you think bearing in mind the trees will keep the grass down a bit.

Also, will the sheep trash the young fruit trees?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Sheep in a young orchard
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »

Also, will the sheep trash the young fruit trees?
Most will, yes :D
There might be some breeds that don't though ... Shropshire Downs are supposed to be orchard sheep, and won't eat the trees.  Most other breeds will bark the trees and eat anything within reach, including the fruit.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »
Shropshires are supposed not to graze fruit trees and our Southdowns are too short to do much damage to mature trees but I think any sheep would find it impossible to resist the allure of young trees if not well fenced.  Could you fence the trees then borrow some sheep during the summer?  The grass would get away from a handful during the main growing season but probably be too sparse on steep ground to feed them all year round.

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »
Shropshire seem to be the way forward. Have a read. http://www.shropshire-sheep.co.uk/sheepintrees.html

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 05:16:07 pm »
We are going to be buying some ourselves a flock of shropshires to run through our Christmas trees and other plantations.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 05:38:08 pm »
Why not use geese?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:42:06 pm »
I have Shropshires in my Xmas trees. Brilliant!!

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 05:55:17 pm »
Does it work well ShaunP? It will save me a job all through the year and less chemical costs.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »
Does it work well ShaunP? It will save me a job all through the year and less chemical costs.

I am between Gloucester and Tewkesbury if you want to see. No more roundup. Still need a bit of neetle control but that will improve as I was other run before with them. I am growing Norway Spruce and did get some roundup damage when I lost control of one plot 2 years ago. Have now got good control of the grass and will be happy to plant seedlings in the grass next year!

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 06:15:32 pm »
ShaunP thats very kind of you would be good to come up and see. I lecture at Hartpury College once a month so maybe fit it in when im there. I lost control of mine this year thats why we are going to buy the shropshires

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 06:51:34 pm »
I am just a few minutes up the road from the College so let me know when you are up next.

horlicks

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:29:18 pm »
I also run Shropshire's in a variety of young trees which works well, but if you are just planting the orchard it may be to soon to introduce them. They will eat the leaves they can reach ( not evergreens) and possibly bend over young weak trees to reach them. As far as grass is concerned there will be plenty for a good number of years. I didn't introduce mine until 5 years after planting and the sheep ate the grass back down during the first winter, but I should have kept on top of briars as cutting these back was the biggest pain!  In general I do really like them. Hope this helps.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »
Thanks all. Hadn't thought of geese. Wouldn't a fox take them? Fox prevention is why we need the electric netting to be mowed so it doesn't short in the grass.

I'll have a look at the links for shropshires. I'm sure young trees could be loosely protected with a roll of pig wire and a stake or something.  Problem is with that is that some sheep will use it as a ladder to get up the tree!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »
Indeed they will.  Keep away from hill and mountain breeds!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 05:44:16 pm »
My sheep have destroyed and consumed even mature fruit trees   :innocent:

I can advise not to get shetlands   ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS