Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: we are now officially horsey people  (Read 4089 times)

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
we are now officially horsey people
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:49:18 am »
The newest addition to our household arrived on Saturday - a lovely bay new forest gelding called fudge. Our children are delighted, our pockets are considerably lighter, but it is a wonderful feeling being able to make your childrens dreams come true.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: we are now officially horsey people
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:26 am »
Lucky children  :horse:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:01:21 am »
Congratulations  :thumbsup:  Nothing like a horse to give years of enjoyment.  Get used to those lighter pockets though  :innocent:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 10:06:41 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , Wow, I too know that feeling, I always wanted a horse and that's why I went out with my Ex, he was a farmers son, but then I went off the idea and knew although I would have loved a horse, I did not want one in a field somewhere else or the trouble of looking after one, same went for my middle daughter, she went riding lessons and did a bit of dressage but otherwise, no horse of her own, she always loved cowboy films and everything horsey, then, they emigrated, a year ago, and they now have their dream and to see her doing cow girl work (team penning) on a horse made me feel all warm I inside, even though she is now 36.....Lovely to see your children happy!! :wave:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:10:14 am »
Newfies are lovely!! nFED is a great newfie focused forum so worth a look too. Th

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:48:14 pm »
Thanks all, we are delighted with him he has settled in really well and seems to take everything in his stride. Our oldest has already fallen off him once so were glad that we had invested in suitable protective gear as well. She picked herself up and got straight back on him so that's not going to phase them at all.

i'll check out the forum too thanks for recommending.
 :thumbsup:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »
Have fun, we started with one........... :innocent:

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:27:14 pm »
Wonderful! I used to ride a NF cross called Marmaduke - he had this habit of just dipping his shoulder when you were least expecting it and dumping you on the floor - he was still doing that at 38 years old!
Hope you have lots of fun - falling off is all part of it! (but protective gear is great - I have been riding for years but always wear a hat and body protector even on my super safe cob. When people ask me why - I say you just never know what might happen and I'd feel such a wally if I damaged myself and all my protective gear was sat in the tack room!)

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 06:40:06 pm »
Congratulations!  :thumbsup: And beware as horses are very contagious - one is only the beggining...  :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 07:35:31 pm »
I love horsey shopping more than buying for myself. Its a passion having equines and takes over your life.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:00 pm »
I love horsey shopping more than buying for myself. Its a passion having equines and takes over your life.

Yes, and buying for yourself you're taking the price on board, thinking not twice but three times... but if it comes to horses: splash the cash!

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
we where always told you had to fall off 30 times by an old teacher to be a proper horse rider so we used to jump our ponies bareback ect and do things we would never dream of doing now with them lol although i still get on our Tb bareback now and again. the best thing in the world sitting on a horses back having a good gallop and forgetting everything else exists,
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS