Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep with a black eye  (Read 1849 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Sheep with a black eye
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:47:45 pm »
Hello.
My daft sheep, Lamby, managed to get his head stuck on a tree today. I think he was trying to give his head a good rub and I found him with a branch lodged under his horn.
We freed him and he shook his head a bit, but I've just been to check him now and the bit under his eye is starting to swell, like he's been in a boxing match.
I've given him some willow for a pain killer but I have no idea whether I should be doing anything else? It's just bruised I suppose.
Any ideas?
Or just leave it? I don't think he'd take to a bag of peas on it.
Thank you
Joanne xxxxxx

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep with a black eye
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 07:23:36 pm »
I'd get the vet to check him over, with swelling, there's a chance of an abscess forming, potentially something scratched his eye, an ulcer may be forming.
I've literally just been to see a horse that had a bit of straw/reed or something stuck in the surface of its eye like a splinter - so needed anti-inflammatory pain relief (your willow will be helping a bit here) and antibiotic drops for the eye.
Eyes can go wrong very quickly, so anything that's a problem is worth getting checked out sooner than later.
Suzanne

PS the sheep are very happy munching away at our big field now, except Colin and the older wethers as they're in our wee paddock, until its time to make lambs!

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Sheep with a black eye
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »
Hi Suzanne
Thanks for your reply and sheep update! Lovely to hear you are all ok.
I'll check Lamby again tomorrow and get the vet if its no better.
Love to you all up there
Joanne xxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS