Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone heard of the Small Landholders (Scotland) Act 1911?  (Read 5266 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Anyone heard of the Small Landholders (Scotland) Act 1911?
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:42:17 pm »
An Act to encourage the formation of Small Agricultural Holdings in Scotland, and to amend the Law relating to the Tenure of such Holdings (including Crofters’ Holdings); to establish a Board of Agriculture for Scotland; and for other purposes connected therewith.

I hadn't until today  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:44:41 pm by Rosemary »

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Anyone heard of the Small Landholders (Scotland) Act 1911?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:19:04 pm »
I hadn't either = where did you find it?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:56:59 pm »
I hadn't either = where did you find it?

I'm doing some research into crofting v smallholding - a sort of compare and contrast - and found it mentioned in some of the crofting information.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:14:57 am »
Is it online somewhere? May have to have a closer look... This is a subject that interests me, too; just don't have much time at the moment to look at it...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:10:58 am »
Just google the title. I THINK it may have been repealed in 1931 but haven't got that far.

I am interested in the concept of crofts outwith the tradtional crofting counties and how it might be used to encourage and support smallholding in Scotland. Not the laughable "West Lothan Crofting Scheme" that just seems to be a way to let a small number of folk build big houses and keep horses in the countryside but genuine opportunities for people to grow food on a small scale.

If I won the lottery, I'd buy a big farm and turn it into a smallholding community  :)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 05:59:57 am »

If I won the lottery, I'd buy a big farm and turn it into a smallholding community  :)

Unfortunately, the lottery has just got more expensive! ;)

I am so interested because I'm looking for a subject for my dissertation... Looking at crofters/smallholders/"lifestyle farmers" (argh! - I hate that term...) would be an option... But I'm so busy with assignments/essays at the moment (no lazy student life, unfortunately) that I'll have to postpone doing much about it.

(What you say about that new crofting scheme sounds more like lifestyle farming to me...)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:35:06 am »
Hi Rosemary - I just saw that youwere involvedin this:
http://www.farmpath.eu/sites/www.farmpath.eu/files/FinalAberdeenshirelifestyle%20land%20management.pdf
I find this rather interesting:
"Twentyfour smallholders, crofters, hobby farmers and other small-scale land owners were interviewed. Together, these individuals were termed ‘lifestyle land managers’ because their primary purpose in acquiring and managing land was to pursue personal life ambitions, rather than to profit from a farm business."
So a full time farmer does not pursue a personal life ambition? I always thought that farming was a lifestyle... Never mind whether you can make it pay or not.
Anyway, I assume you were interviewed by Lee-Ann - you didn't happen to ask her about the Small Landholders Act? (Actually, maybe you hadn't heard about it at that time...)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:42:40 am »
Hi Rosemary - I just saw that youwere involvedin this:
http://www.farmpath.eu/sites/www.farmpath.eu/files/FinalAberdeenshirelifestyle%20land%20management.pdf
I find this rather interesting:
"Twentyfour smallholders, crofters, hobby farmers and other small-scale land owners were interviewed. Together, these individuals were termed ‘lifestyle land managers’ because their primary purpose in acquiring and managing land was to pursue personal life ambitions, rather than to profit from a farm business."
So a full time farmer does not pursue a personal life ambition? I always thought that farming was a lifestyle... Never mind whether you can make it pay or not.
Anyway, I assume you were interviewed by Lee-Ann - you didn't happen to ask her about the Small Landholders Act? (Actually, maybe you hadn't heard about it at that time...)

No, I hadn't heard of the Act until last week. I haven't read Lee-Ann's report yet either but I will.

I think there's a real difficulty in definition. In fact, the definition given of a "lifestyle land manager" is me, pretty much. We didn't buy our first smallholding - well, it wasn't a smallholding - as a business. We just liked the view and fancied producing our own food.

We bought this one because it allowed me to keep and breed rare Shetland cattle, while still producing our own food (including beef and hopefully dairy produce), although we now run it as a business which doesn't make money. Although I live in hope  :)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:19:43 am »
Don't we all!

I think what bugs me is that these days "Lifestyle" is considered another word for "not expected to pay its way", whereas in my book it's also a lifestyle (albeit a different one) if you have to live on it... Sorry - I just shouldn't get bogged down about it.  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
Sorry - I just shouldn't get bogged down about it.  ;D

Don't apologise, I do to.

So many terms - what's the difference between a smallholder and a hobby farmer? Is it in the aim to produce food? Is it in being registered as a business? Can't be that, I don't think. Lots of folk register as businesses for tax reasons (that I didn't even know about until I read Lee-Anne's report).

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 09:27:57 pm »
So many terms - what's the difference between a smallholder and a hobby farmer? Is it in the aim to produce food? Is it in being registered as a business? Can't be that, I don't think. Lots of folk register as businesses for tax reasons (that I didn't even know about until I read Lee-Anne's report).

I bet that'll be those "oil farmers" we have up here near Aberdeen... ::) If you have more money, you're better at taking care of it! (And you can afford an accountant.)
Spoke to a colleague of Lee-Anne's today - he says there is a lot of woodland up here that's not really being looked after; and wouldn't it be great to buy up a chunk and turn it into smallholdings! Planning would be a problem, though. But he's right, there is a lot of woodland (I can think of a few bits) that aren't used properly. Too much bought by folk who either just want to own land, or like the idea of "doing something for the environment", and don't realise that there's work involved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS