Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No Yolk  (Read 2024 times)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
No Yolk
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:05:44 pm »
phone call from a lady I give eggs to, "in my 78 years ive never seen this before, I cracked an egg.......no yolk, triple checked the shell to make sure!"
Can anyone tell me the reason/cause of this, could I start selling them as "meringue" eggs  ;)
off to google but thought I would get the answer here

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: No Yolk
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:38:13 pm »
Was it from a young hen? How big was the egg? Sometimes they produce wind eggs which are just sort of practice eggs with no yolk but normally a lot smaller than a regular egg - bit like double yolkers when you can spot them from the size and join!

H

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:31 pm »
Did she just get the one egg like it? I suspect so. I have had one but that's all. Everything back to normal the next day. I have no idea what causes it though
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:11:28 pm »
An older hen can also produce yolk less eggs when they are coming to the end ofvtheir laying life.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »
it was a normal sized brown eggs, I thought maybe a hen at the end of its laying days but counting out we have 3 19 week olds so maybe it was one of them, thanks for the replies, google told me they can be called fart eggs or in days of old cock or rooster eggs!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS