Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm showing off now, too!  (Read 4069 times)

Tullywood Farm

I'm showing off now, too!
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:54:50 pm »
I did a link on mosaics a while back - now I have finally got my fish table out of storage
and into my new dining-kitchen.

I got the old 1930's walnut finished legs from a friends garden, covered in woodworm.  I spent
a couple of weeks sanding, preserving and varnishing the legs, then Joe made me the top from
plywood, and edged it with cut down skirting board which I painted blue to match one of the tiles.

The tiles are kitchen wall tiles, and were smashed by a hammer and arranged onto my drawing before
getting glued down with Durabond, then grouted with grey floor grout.

I did it a few years ago, it is the first table I did and it is great to be using it every day now ;)

Julie
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:40:08 am by Tullywood Farm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: I'm showing off now, too!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:59 pm »
It looks just grand, Julie. well done!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 12:08:19 am »
What a lovely table!
It looks like the mosaic took hours of work and it looks lovely set into the table.
Fab!
kirsty

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:47:26 am »
The whole table took 3 months of weekends and evenings.

The worst thing was cutting all the tiles to fit, because I use normal house wall tiles and don't buy expensive glass mosaic tiles, once you have smashed them, you have to nibble or cut off the curved edges, so that all your tiles lie flat.

All the square tiles around the border were also cut by hand, and I wore out three pairs of tile nibblers making it.

I have another Mosaic Table, the same size, but cut down to coffe table height, of four hens which is in red gold and green tiles and they were floor tiles so twice as thick - that one took me much longer, and my hands were worn out and aching quicker than the nibblers, but it is really nice, and the colours are so warm and christmassy, just too big for the lounge we have at the moment, so it is in storage above the farm shop. Will post a picture when I can get to it - I did it for Joe as a Christmas Present when we were into breeding hens.

Julie
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:37:16 am by Tullywood Farm »

sandy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:04:45 am »
What a lovely table, I wish someone gave me a pressie like that!!! If I had a go it would end up like a 5 year old had done it!!! :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:15:48 pm »
That's fab. I wouldn't have the patience.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS