Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crossing Jacob ewes with a polled ram  (Read 4455 times)

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
Crossing Jacob ewes with a polled ram
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:38:49 pm »
Evening

I am planning to put my jacob ewes to a poll dorset ram, will the lambs be fully polled or will they have little malformed horn scurs. I have a ewe with little scurs that I am keeping on for hogget, she is driving me mad getting stuck in the fencing. If they offspring are not fully polled I may have to have a rethink.

Experiences/thoughts very welcome.

Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Crossing Jacob ewes with a polled ram
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:16:24 pm »
Have seen jacob x texel  90% of the lambs were  clean but a few wethers had different sized scurs/small horns

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:20:28 pm »
We crossed a two horned Jacobs Ewe with a Polled Dorset and we had twins one ewe one ram lamb and they are both horned the same as mum.

If that helps.

On the other hand we had a Horned Dorset ewe crossed with the Polled Dorset Ram and we again got twins ewes this time however one was polled the other horned.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:51:26 pm »
I would imagine you would most than likely get a mix of horned and polled.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »
Some will be horned, (big and small - small horns will be more common than big) some will have scurrs, and some will be polled.

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:17 pm »
Thanks folks, I was hoping for either horns or no horns.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:58:23 pm »
Farmer down the road has 3 Jacobs who are just on with his pure Dorsets he says there lambs are his lambs loads off flavour

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:30:26 am »
we have horned sheep (wilts) which have gone to a polled lleyn for past couple of years- ewe lambs have at most had the odd scur but ram lambs are a mixed bag of scurs and horns. our friend puts his Jacob ewes to a lleyn and generally the ram lambs get horns and the ewes don't. I don't understand genetics at all but it seems that sometimes our crosses are more one parent than the other. we have had crosses that shed at least partly (wilts gene) and some that don't at all despite all having same father

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:44:22 pm »
This will not be that helpful, but just for information, I use a Jacob ram on my all my sheep and the Poll Dorset lambs are polled whether they are boys or girls. They have Jacob markings but the carcase bulk of  the Dorset.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 09:25:55 pm »
We put our Badger Face ewes (rams have horns) to a Southdown every other year.  All lambs are polled, no scurs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS