Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I may have a slight problem this morning.  (Read 2514 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
I may have a slight problem this morning.
« on: October 04, 2013, 07:34:58 am »
I'm not looking forward to going out to the pigs this morning. Its pouring down with torrential rain here right now and has been doing so since half past one yesterday afternoon.
Pru and her piglets are out in their ark in all of this and while that's nice and waterproof, their enclosure was already saturated by last night. I'm thinking that when I get out there in a few minutes, they're probably going to be flooded out. If they are, then my problem is going to be persuading the piglets to follow their mum to the sty. Wish me luck. :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: I may have a slight problem this morning.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 08:10:53 am »
I have never had piglets but otherwise found the rain/mud bothered me much more than the pigs. They seemed to be more than happy to wade through the worst bits instead of steering clear.

Let's hope your piggies are the same.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:27:16 am »
Thankfully, although the run is a wash, their ark is fairly dry. I've slung half a bale of straw in there to make sure. :raining:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:16 am »
Glad they are ok.  Our pig pen is also a wash with mud from the last couple of days.
Our last 2 are going Sunday morning  :( will miss them but after last winter will never keep them over winter again  :o
Graham

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:37:27 am »
Rained nearly all afternoon here yesterday and it was like stair rods coming down.  My sheep spent all afternoon in the back of the barn in the dry  ::)  Not that they are spoilt or anything  :innocent:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:24 am »
I love seeing them out in the fields. They're really happy out in the open air but after this rain I really did think that they were going to be sty bound. We tend to have long mild very wet winters here and its made me realize that I do need to see about making a bigger enclosure for them. In fact, for the small number of pigs that I intend keeping, I'm thinking of making three pens with one always kept as a spare.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS