Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody or hiding or ill?  (Read 2397 times)

Tricia

• Joined Oct 2010
Broody or hiding or ill?
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:53:41 pm »
I have had this small brown hen since early this year, so still young.  Initially she began laying tiny eggs, and they slowly got bigger.  At the start of the summer she went broody - or that is all we can say it was - she stayed in the nest box sitting on eggs all day.  She would even sit when there were no eggs.  Eventually it stopped and she joined the rest of the hens (4 others).  About a month ago she started again and we now have a terrible job to get her out of the nest box.  Her comb etc are pink and small.  She will eat her fill, drink water, poo as normal but then desperately wants back into the nest box.  We have taken her out every afternoon, after the laying has stopped, and closed up the box.  She goes mad to get back in and takes a very long while to settle.  We aren't sure if she is actually broody or if she is hiding from a big hen that has taken a dislike to her.  She can hold her own and can run fast.  Today I put her out - she won't come out voluntarily - and she immediately found some leaves nearby and began putting them onto her own back one at a time.  That behaviour lasted about 5 or more minutes on and off.  Very odd.  Any ideas welcome.  She is not laying, by the way.  Tricia

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Broody or hiding or ill?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:43:57 pm »
is she a good weight? prolonged broody behaviour can lead to weight loss if they arent eating enough, which can then cause health problems.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:15 pm »
Definitely broody.  If you like broodies keep her if not "re-home" her.  If she started that young she will always be at it.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Tricia

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:48:21 pm »
Oh dear.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:32:33 am »
We have one as well Tricia -just a year old now. Broody every week it seems and gets very aggressive as a result. We moved her twice and had to pull her out with her being terribly bullied. She is now in with placid Orpingtons and we have to keep taking her out of the nest box. When she was younger she got dangerously thin with not eating. Now she is older she is fat, but still broody.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:42:35 am »
yeah we got one too. broody more often than not- not sure why she's still with us really- too soft I guess- it seems that her sole reason for laying her annual egg is to sit on it- one of these day..............................

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:20:15 am »
yeah we got one too. broody more often than not- not sure why she's still with us really- too soft I guess- it seems that her sole reason for laying her annual egg is to sit on it- one of these day..............................

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:28:01 am »
Could you not get her a few fertile eggs I always feel sorry for mine lol they just wanna be mummy's lol

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:05:34 pm »
I think broodies are either best given fertile eggs or nipped in the bud, I put mine in a covered wire run on grass with no house or any where to dark to sit. After a couple of days of being stressed they give up. Some hens will sit for months if you let them and they can get thin, can't be good for them.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:32:10 am »
I guess at this time of year she'll come into moult sooner or later? Mine have all been broody at least once this year but none are at the moment - one gave up last week and has started to moult (looking truly ratty at the moment). It does hit their egg figures hugely - I've heard hugely varying figures on Orpington lay rates and it's not surprising when some of mine must have spent three months this summer without laying.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS