Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone else's geese laying?  (Read 2204 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Anyone else's geese laying?
« on: October 02, 2013, 12:35:37 pm »
Back in the summer, after what I thought was the laying period of a goose, I bought some more geese. They are Embden's in there first year of lay.

Well earlier I found one of the geese was missing, looked everywhere and then I found her in the old cow shed that's partly fallen down where my other goose used to lay. Well basically shes found this old nest and after she had left I found a clutch of eggs and there was one that had clearly just been laid.

Is anyone getting eggs from these geese? I was shocked expecting to just find that she was sat on an empty nest.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Anyone else's geese laying?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »
Hi, I had this happen last year! I let her sit and hatch, once the babies hatched I kept them in for a few days and they went to bed at night after that. They were all fine :) and I was thrilled as most of them were girls! I'd let her get on with it unless you don't want babies of course!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:38:51 pm »
I'd love some babies but my only problem is that the building they lay in isn't secure for foxes. I'd be worried about the fox getting her one night.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:25:37 am »
My goose started laying in September, think I got about a doz. eggs, but she's stopped now (actually I should double check their shed to make sure she's not laid in the last few days). Its her first year of lay too, I was told by the helpful people on here that it can happen, but not common.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS