Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: starting an orchard  (Read 6012 times)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
starting an orchard
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:50:53 pm »
We want to get started with a few fruit trees this Autumn; especially apples for juice and cider. We would like to buy bare root and if necessary plant in tubs if we can't plant in the ground immediately. Has anyone got any recommendations for suppliers? Local to us would be preferable (South Somerset close to border with Devon and Dorset). Also what are your favourite varieties?

Thank you :thumbsup:
Helen

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: starting an orchard
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 09:01:36 pm »
I used Adam's apples who are based in east Devon when I bought bare root trees for my husband for Christmas 2 years ago. They have lots of [size=78%]varieties and grow types suitable for this part if the country. Good strong plants, they all took despite being planted in very late December.[/size]

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:12 pm »
Not so local to you but Keepers http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/ has an amazing range of trees (they claim probably the biggest selection of fruit trees for sale in the world) which includes heritage varieties from the whole country. We bought about 35 trees from them last winter and all are thriving - have just started my shopping list for this winter.

Just make sure you decide first what rootstock you want, and what tree form you want. That'll dictate how many trees you can fit in and will help narrow down your selection a little. Oh, and even if you don't want to buy from Keepers, they have loads of useful information on there about rootstocks and varieties - and they're really helpful over the phone too,

H

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:21:49 pm »
Thanks guys!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:29:10 am »
I'm too far away to suggest any nurseries, but wanted to say that my favourite apple is Blenheim Orange.  It is apparently both a cooker and an eater, but ours are so tasty they never get near a cooking pot. :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:   They don't keep but would make wonderful juice - maybe too sweet for cider.  Ours are just ripening now  :yum:   The trees are sturdy and healthy and are the only apple which does well in our rather high and cold orchard.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:32:18 am »
Another positive recommendation for Adams Apples. We planted 70+ trees from them in spring 2012 and they've done really well. We'll be ordering from them again this year, great service too.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:24 am »
we were in same position as you 3 years ago. firstly we went to Rosemoor RHS garden near Torrington as they hold an annual "Apple Day" the day was extremely useful containing talks by apple experts and lots of other info and advice and tastings. Gave us clear guidance as to what trees would cope with our soil and climate. FYI this years is this coming weekend on 6th October- you can check their website for details. Following this we got all our trees at Thornhayes Nursery near Cullompton who had been involved on the Apple Day- if its near enough couldn't recommend it highly enough

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:07:11 pm »
Another vote for Blenheim Orange :-)) the most delicious! and Egremont Russet, lovely and nutty.

One of them tho can't remember which, needs two other pollinators cos its in the group that needs that, altho crab apple or quince will count as well as other apple trees.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:48:36 pm »
we went for Upton Pyne (a local Devon variety) as a cooker (lovely and almost good enough to eat uncooked) and two eaters, Sanspareil and Kidd's Orange Red. all really doing well and lovely and tasty. However it really depends on soil/climate etc. and of course personal taste. I love the KOR whilst my wife isn't a fan but loves sanspareil

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:13:38 pm »
Just got November's Country Smallholding and their In Focus section this month is on Trees and Wood - and includes quite a few fruit tree nurseries (including Adam's Apple Trees). Second the idea to go to an apple day - we're off to the Brogdale (national fruit tree collection) apple day in a couple of weeks.

H

Yummersetter

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:24:35 pm »
There's a company called 'Cider Apple Trees' just off the A303 in Somerset with a good range of apple trees. My favourite juice is made from Kidd's Orange Red apples.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS