Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Testing for Brucellosis  (Read 6809 times)

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
Testing for Brucellosis
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »
 :wave:

Does anyone knows where can I test my goats for brucellosis and how much does it cost?

Thank you  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Testing for Brucellosis
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:06:00 pm »
The UK is brucellosis free and there is no tests required, unless you are (un)lucky enough to be random picked by DEFRA to do one of their few tests they have to submit annually to the EU to prove that the UK is still free of it. If they want you, they will phone and arrange for a ministry vet to come out and do it. Not nice for the goats if the vet isn't used to them...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:41:50 pm »
We were picked to have our sheep randomly  tested this year. It wasn't bad except they want samples from 20 ewes so it took quite a long time. Even more fun (not) with goats. Unsurprisingly we got a letter to say they don't have brucellosis!

It's several decades since it was in the UK so there is no routine testing.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:19:03 am »
thank you

its not the case, my herd will be shipped on the continent next year and some buyers requires tests. Well I think I will arrange tests over there then!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:11:44 am »
Contact animal health at the council. They will be able to advise how to test export stock and have contacts etc.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:23 am »
Defra's Export Dept is in Carlisle.................they have all the up to date requirements for individual countries in Europe. 
Most are the same......BUT......your stock must be certified Scrapie free and have been on some sort of
monitoring scheme for at least 3 years, but in some cases it is 7years.   If they are not, and they cant be blood tested, you wont be allowed to export them.   Your Vet wont be able to sign the certicate.
I export regularly to Europe and  know the detailed requirements very well.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:24:28 am »
The contact number you need is:
01228 403600.....option 3

This is the export office who will have the detailed info you need.   Your goats will also need to be tested for CAE and hold a current certificate.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:32:23 am »
I had a little girl turn up about doing tests, I pointed to the ferels and told her to help herself...funny they lost interest after that  ;D

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »
wytsend
thank you very much for that,  well this is madness if they had to be monitored for 3 to 7 years! I'll give them a ring to find out, as sounds completely ridiciulous if you can bring dogs to this country without quarantine?... Anyway I will be taking them as mine, to my smallholding abroad and they will be sold from there.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:35:59 pm »
Basically for goats to leave UK.......they have to have a TRACES health certificate signed by a Vet 24hrs before travel.   Without this paperwork, the following can happen:-
You can be stopped at the point of exit........the Port Authority can request a Vet to check the papers.
Alternatively, you arrive across the channel....the port authority refuse to allow you to land and return you to UK.    I know somebody this has happened to.
The Vet cannot sign the papers without the evidence of being Scrapie free, CAE negative etc.
It is a minefield........I am the first to admit this and I have been exporting for the last 30 years.
It all about proving the animals you take abroad are not carrying disease.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:01:24 am »
I'm exporting horses and I think it will be similar with paperwork, exluding the signature not allowing for slaughter! Ill find out with defra what is exactly needed.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 09:47:29 am »
have you looked on the defra web site iirc there have been some changes brought in this year.

its not a straightforward path to go down years of testing and paperwork come into play.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 10:27:39 am »
Yes I looked there but seems like within EU it shouldn't be much problem. I'll ring them and find out.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »
The very best of luck with your optimism.....................as an experienced exporter, I can say you will have a rocky road.
The Scrapie & CAE is the problem......nothing else......oh yes and going out from the correct Port.   Not all Ports will accept farm livestock,  horses yes because they are not deemed to be livestock !!!!   They are bloodstock .   I have been down this road only last year when I sent some goats to Ireland from Devon.
The Export rules changed for farm livestock on July 1st 2013 which has made life very difficult indeed.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »
It's not very easy with horses also if they're under 14hh! I this case you need special certificate of the value or horse registered with breeding society.

Waiting for a call back from one of export departament's vets. I think the rules are vary depending on destination country.
We got Ramsgate port here, but will check with ferry line I'm normally using in Dover as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS