Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pick-up truck needed?  (Read 7892 times)

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
Re: Pick-up truck needed?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:54 am »
I have a ford ranger and I'm delighted with it. I bought a flat load cover for it, for when we go shopping. Air con all leather and will carry way over a ton. Selectable 4 wheel drive, it's like driving a giant tonka toy . Regularly get over 30 mpg on short runs and about 38 on long runs .. Takes euro pallets no problem and has a ladder bar behind the double cab so long stuff goes over the top. I've even carried 6 metre lengths of steel on mine.
Don't have a problem with its size

cotswoldfarmer

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 11:53:43 am »
I have not had any repairs done on it yet so not sure on that one. As for servicing same old thing if you go to a dealership you will pay through the nose, I use a independant and that is alot cheaper. Also I have found when you using a main dealer specifiy what you want done. So you do not get charged for silly things.

Just a extra note. I was chat to a friend down the pub and he has just brought a Hilux and got 12% discount for being a member of BASC. The discount also applied to any extras

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 12:08:56 pm »

Just a extra note. I was chat to a friend down the pub and he has just brought a Hilux and got 12% discount for being a member of BASC. The discount also applied to any extras

Oooo!  That's worth bearing in mind, thanks!

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 12:26:22 pm »
Interesting that you have found the subaru expensive to maintain. 17 years ago I bought my mother a brand new legacy 2.0 estate. I am the only person who has ever touched it mechanically. Aside from an yearly service I have hardly had to touch it. Half an exhaust system. ... brake pads.... and tyres.  Never broken down and never needed anything for an MOT.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
Maybe it depends where you drive it :).  Perhaps the welsh rain and mud is more permeating than English rain and mud, I dunno.

I've had callipers seize ... and they don't stock those particular ones in the UK, so they had to come from Germany or something, and no one makes aftermarket ones either.  They cost an arm.
Then I had a duff shock absorber, most likely from the awful potholed roads around here, again no aftermarket one available. That cost a leg.
Cam belt changes - just had my second.  Got quotes from non-dealers and they were more expensive than the dealer.  Exceedingly complicated design of the engine means it takes ages to do.  So that was the other arm and the other leg!
Exhaust and brakes costs have all been average though.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 12:46:10 pm »
Yes usage will have lots to do with it.... I notice that with those who use their landrovers for work.

surprised at independent being more expensive. I have done a few belts on those quad cam engines and would describe it as fidley but not too bad.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:02:13 am »
After what seems like a lifetime of Land Rovers we've just bought an old Mazda double cab pick up. Apparently they are much the same as a Ford Ranger. After many years of noisy, draughty Landies it's a revelation. Just like a car to drive. Plenty of ground clearance and has amazing traction in the mud even with road tyres on. Everything works unlike any of the LR's I've ever had. Very pleased with it so far.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS