Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who (in Scotland) has a pig 'Walking licence' ?  (Read 3885 times)

HappyHippy

Who (in Scotland) has a pig 'Walking licence' ?
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:58:17 pm »
It's a long story.......but I'm keen to hear from folks who have a walking licence for their pigs.

I think there might only be one person in the whole of Scotland who's applied, so hopefully you'll read this and drop me a message  :fc:
Thanks, Karen  :wave:

J D

• Joined Oct 2012
  • East Ayrshire
Re: Who (in Scotland) has a pig 'Walking licence' ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:28 pm »
That's interesting.  A few weeks ago I got an email from someone claiming to be a  journalist asking the same question. I thought it was someone playing a joke on me!

You will need to let us know if you manage to tracked them down.

J D

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:44:29 pm »
Yeah, I spoke to him a couple of years ago about it - he ran a story (can't remember what paper it was). But now wants to find the person who has it and do a story I think  :innocent:

NetherBrae

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:05:21 pm »
My understanding was that you could apply for a license if you live in England or Wales but that they don't have them in Scotland. I've read that in some government literature at some point - not sure which booklet though.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:03:36 am »
Scotland does have walking licences, comes under the The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) (Scotland) Order 2011, para 13

"The Scottish Ministers may grant a walking licence to a keeper of a pet pig allowing the keeper to take the pig for a walk off the holding without complying with articles 5 and 12, but the person walking the pig must carry a copy of the licence throughout the walk."

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:44:59 am »
Yup, as Oaklands says they changed the rules  ::)
That's when he'd gotten in touch initially to find out what I thought about them  :D He asked if I'd be applying for one  :roflanim: I told him I didn't think so  :innocent:

I'm nosey anyway, so from a personal point of view I'd like to know if the person who has it uses it regularly (because if they do, the pig must be trained and obiedient - we could recruit them for pig agility at the Smallholders Festival next year  :excited:) and how they find taking their pig for a walk. I 'walk' mine within the fields (well, they follow me around when I'm checking fences - is that the same thing ?) but really wouldn't trust any of them in 'open' ground - especially where there were chip shops etc.

NetherBrae

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:19:09 am »
I saw a woman walking her pig on tv once on a reality tv show. She lived in England. Her pigs were more pampered than Paris Hilton's dogs - lived in the house, glittery harness and lead, etc. Not going to make personal judgements but the funniest part of the programme was when she tried to walk one of them - the pig just laid down and refused to move lol.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:28:02 pm »
oh me! im mortified, I got the same phone call but I had my "working with small children" hat on and thought it was about when nurseries take children out for walks!!! he must have thought I was completely off my rocker "well I really just work with babies so they are not walking yet" PMSL

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS