Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planning ahead  (Read 4082 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Planning ahead
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:00:45 am »
I'm one of those who has a draw for galvanised screws and another for stainless and of course different sizes.
Now then we are just getting ready for the weaners, we have bought and built the sty we are sorting out the fencing, they are only staying until their fat.
The question being should we buy in food for the 18 weeks ish or buy monthly ?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Planning ahead
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:14:02 am »
You should be able to get a better price if you buy in bulk largely depends on the supplier though.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:17:21 am »
1. Pig feed as a shelf life, typically about three months.  After that the vitamin content starts to go downhill - it does not fall off a cliff, but just be aware.
2. You'll need to store it where it is vermin proof, otherwise you'll attract rates and mice, so consider this.
3. You can get discounts in some places for buying say 5 bags at a time, so you may be able to save some money that way. 
4. Your "local" store may not be so local, and you'd spend more on fuel if you bought each month.

There is no right answer, you'll need to think about the above for your circumstances

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:40 am »
How many weaners are you getting?

I only have 2 at a time and find that buying 2/3 bags at a time when I go into town works for me. Do you live near enough to your supplier to do the same if not it may not be cost effective.

Buying in bulk would only work if you had enough pigs.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:01:06 am »
Thanks for the replies, we are only having 2, nowhere near a supplier, I don't collect feed as it's not financially/time viable, they usually deliver (for nothing) but this company doesn't do pig feed.
Another question is if we intend to top up their feed with, home grown veg how much will this reduce the meal by, their forage area is small and just contains 2 apple trees.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:13:03 am »
Hi... we have just finished our first lot of weaners. I found the pig feeding guide that you can find under the livestock tab of this website invaluable.  That said following that formula I did not use anywhere near the 19 bags of food per pig that was predicted. We fed them on wind falls from the orchard, but did not reduce the feed to compensate.  If you have trees in their run make sure they are protected. Pigs will eventually ring bark them and kill them of they run out of things to forage.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:36 am »
Andynj,
Could you persuade your supplier to get some pig food in for you? It sounds as if it would be the easiest option.

Mine always had pellets with just the odd bit of fruit and veg so I never reduced their rations. I know there are other posts on here about though so you might want to search.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:02:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies, we are only having 2, nowhere near a supplier, I don't collect feed as it's not financially/time viable, they usually deliver (for nothing) but this company doesn't do pig feed.
Haven't done your homework young man, i'm up in Yorkshire and i googled Dawlish agricultural merchants and five came up in the area!!!! One of which is Mole Valley at Teignmouth and they do pig feed so call ahead and order some feed and collect a good amount. Also check the strength of your homemade ark its amazing how strong two little pigs can be and how destructive they can be and make sure your fencing is piggy escape proof too.
"Not finanacially/time viable"...........hmmm do you really want pigs because pigs aren't financially a gold mine (see other posts on first pigs!) and time well you have to put in a goodly amount of time to get good results.Think you need to do some serious thinking matey whether pig keeping is for you, it maybe i've read your posting wrongly we shall see.........................
mandy :pig:

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 03:34:43 pm »
Haven't done your homework young man, i'm up in Yorkshire and i googled Dawlish agricultural merchants and five came up in the area!!!! One of which is Mole Valley at Teignmouth and they do pig feed so call ahead and order some feed and collect a good amount. Also check the strength of your homemade ark its amazing how strong two little pigs can be and how destructive they can be and make sure your fencing is piggy escape proof too.
"Not finanacially/time viable"...........hmmm do you really want pigs because pigs aren't financially a gold mine (see other posts on first pigs!) and time well you have to put in a goodly amount of time to get good results.Think you need to do some serious thinking matey whether pig keeping is for you, it maybe i've read your posting wrongly we shall see.........................
mandy :pig:
Hmmmmm Mole valley don't have a place at Teignmouth it's the other side of Newton Abbot which is a 35 min drive each way plus they don't actually stock it at that store though they will order it in, I think driving to get something is wasting loads of time when I can be doing interesting stuff like chickens or trees or digging holes or making hedges or pigs, we  aren't having pigs for money. Our pig sty isn't an ark it's a purpose made concrete pig sty it's got 4" reinforced uprights with reinforced concrete slotted panels like a gravel board in fencing. it's got a 6" thick concrete floor and the uprights are concreted in as well it's probably stronger than a house. It's like a sectional garage just smaller it cost a fortune in Hein site an ark would have been a huge saving. Oh well it's only money  :innocent:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:43 pm »
i found that a ton of food would feed 2 weaners up to a good weight at 7 mths. our supplier has a minimum delivery on 1 ton but you can order half growers and half finishers. its "best before" is 3mths approx but thats the compromise, its the vitamins that start to expire but im sure if the pigs are healthy and have access to outside they shouldnt suffer from that.  our feed store isnt too close so i get fed up with driving back and forth with the feed, its time not just petrol. id go for bulk delivery, much better price and less hassle - if you have the dosh handy.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 08:55:12 pm »
We have a proper miller not too far away I'll ask them what minimum quantity is, Thanks

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:12 am »
AndynJ
can only make assumptions from the sparse details you gave, its always the same people tell us the bare minimum and then expect us to help or diagnose, we're not psychic :-J from what you now say sounds like you have a plan which is great, best of luck with your pigs but please better picture next time!
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS