Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which book?  (Read 1716 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Which book?
« on: September 30, 2013, 01:23:25 pm »
What book do you recommend for best medical and pig keeping knowledge.  I have another limping pig with no sign of heat, swelling or injury and could do with some expert knowledge.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Which book?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:26:03 pm »
I have always found the Eddie Stratton TV Vet books very good.  I have his sheep ailments book and know he also has a cattle version.  Wouldn't be at all surprised if he also wrote a pig ailments book.  I find them very useful as they have such good photo to compare the ailment with what your animal is suffering from. 

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:47:10 pm »
I have always found the Eddie Stratton TV Vet books very good.  I have his sheep ailments book and know he also has a cattle version.  Wouldn't be at all surprised if he also wrote a pig ailments book.  I find them very useful as they have such good photo to compare the ailment with what your animal is suffering from.

yes there is a pig version too  :thumbsup:

the pig site is also a very good reference tool for pig ailments.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:56:25 pm »
Mark White's book is good.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:47 pm »
How old is your pig?   
re. books, it's a big investment, but worth it - http://shop.thepigsite.com/detail/2369/managing-pig-health-a-reference-for-the-farm-2nd-edition/
This is the new 2013 edition, but you may be able to find the first edition cheaper somewhere online.
If you want to drop me a message or email re. your gilt, please do.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS