Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs as pets  (Read 3716 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Pigs as pets
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:28:12 pm »
I have been researching into micro pigs for a friend which has caused me to wonder how many people keep pigs as pets.  I dont mean the much loved sow who has been in the family so long they would rather send Grandma down the line than the pig, but the pig who lives indoors, sits on the sofa, is part of family life.  (And I know of at least 2 here in Brittany). Just interested in other people's experiences or views.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Pigs as pets
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:25:00 pm »
We have sold a couple of pigs as pets not quite the indoors type but one certainly lives as a dog . Gives it's trotter on command and chases the post man with the other dogs at the property! The same pig was raised by hand and was trained to the lead it was entered into the pet show at the local agricultural show and won even trotting to the judge when he was called  out as the winner, he knew his name very very well.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »
Mine have always been purely for the freezer and as such I would never consider trying to make them pets. However............................................ when I get my Kune Kune's they'll be pets - don't think I'll have them in the house though - I've got enough mess to deal with from hubby, 3 kids and the dog !  ;)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:43:16 pm »
My kune kunes are outdoor pets! They sit on command and adelaide even begs for an apple. I'd never have them in the house as it's not natural!
I have hand reared a tamworth who lived in the house for his first 3 weeks and he was a tad smelly!

Each to their own, I say!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:12:34 pm »
Outdoor pets here too, I'd say.  All our animals are completely daft, the goat is milked is in the kitchen and has to go and "visit Grandad" before she'll go back out (my father in law in his room!)  Kunes all come to their names, as do the chickens & rabbits. And we talk to them all like they can understand, the cockerels will all sing in harmony if my O/H conducts them...
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:27:39 am »
I am amazed and delighted at the response, please keep posting

sandy

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:29:28 pm »
I would LOVE a pig as a pet, I remember that film "Misery" . If I had a bit more garden I would have one or two!!!!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:18:33 am »
I love this thread...makes me feel I'm amongst friends...we treat all our animals as pets until the final day comes..as a result I get very emotional on abattoir days...and often shed a few tears if the animal in question has been with us for a long time...if the day ever comes when I don't feel upset I'll pack it all in and take up golf again...mind you I'm prone to get emotional when I've missed a easy bloody put too!!

Silly old fool
Farmer
 :farmer:

sandy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:03 am »
Morning all!!! My father in law was a farmer, sheep and cattle, and he always had respect for his animals, I think that is the key, treat them well, give them a good life and enjoy their produce, although I lived near a lifestock market and used to watch the animals being taken to the abattoir and hated it so stooped going (head in the sand)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:34:04 am »
I find taking the pigs on the hardest part, and they are all very dear to us.  I think these are bred just for pets as kilo to euro they would be excessively expensive joints.  As pigs are such intelligent beings it seems a shame that they are not also kept just as pets

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS