Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Multiple use for horsebox  (Read 9973 times)

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
Multiple use for horsebox
« on: September 29, 2013, 02:36:53 pm »
Hi all,

At the risk of sounding daft, is there any reason why a horse box couldnt be used for transporting sheep / cattle etc, subject to numbers of course and cleaning out properly after use ?

The missus is telling me we will need a horse box but I dont want to spend money on a seperate livestock trailer if I dont need to.

Regards

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Multiple use for horsebox
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:00:11 pm »
There are rules and regulations governing the transport of sheep, so if the horse box conforms to those (correct amount of space per animal, metal floor, correct angle of ramp, ventilation etc ) then I don't see why not.  We used a horse trailer for years before we got our sheep trailer but that was before the new regs.  You may well use more fuel towing it though.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »
The other thing to consider is whether the horses will agree to go back in it once stinky sheep have come out...they can be funny to load, horses and any excuse to start not being good to load will by a headache and have you buying a small sheep trailer quicker than you can reach for your cheque book.

We have a horsebox but decided by the time we modified it for sheep we could better put that money towards  buying a smallish (Ifor P8) trailer for the sheep. Also, you won't not be able to take the sheep cos the horsebox has run out of MOT or needs repair - unless what you mean by box is a horse trailer rather than Horse box?

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »
HI there, sorry I did mean a horse trailer.

Many thanks all

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »
We bought one of these in the 7ft height/10ft length option with the central divider about 4 years ago:

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/livestock/ta510?tab=details

It does for our ponies, sheep, pigs and was great for house moving.  :D

No regrets at all, a great piece of kit.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:46:48 pm »
I have a cheap Rice trailer that I bought one winter for £500. Its called a Europa and  it weighs under 700kg. A bigger family car will tow it with a horse, its moved furniture, compact tractor plus mower, pigs to slaughter, general storage when we are short of space and I can get 35 bales of hay in it.
 I can under stand why they are so cheap when a box trailer is not as strong and a normal sheep trailer has not the flexibility. Buy them in winter when no one wants them and get a bargain.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:23:16 am »
Hi. I have done the same.... purchased a Rice Europa about 8 years ago. I have used it for everything. ..... except horses. Last month I had to replace one complete side due to rot and at the same time fitted it with stock gates. It worked really well taking our pigs to slaughter.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:33:20 am »
I use a double Ifor Williams horse trailer for both my horse and sheep and have had no issues whatsoever.  I have transported sheep to market and never had any market officials remark on it not meeting any regulations. 

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:56 pm »
There are no regulations. We have 510 ifor williams (tall, big horsebox), ifor williams cattle box and 3 horse trailer. Goats were travelling in a horsebox and horses were travelling in a cattlebox!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:27 pm »
We bought one of these in the 7ft height/10ft length option with the central divider about 4 years ago:

http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/livestock/ta510?tab=details

It does for our ponies, sheep, pigs and was great for house moving.  :D

No regrets at all, a great piece of kit.

Exactly what we have too, does for everything, ponies travel much better in it than a conventional horse trailer.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:36:13 pm »
The only downfall is no side hurdles/gates on a horse trailer - but as 90driver said - you can fit them easily to save the peeps at the mart having to shuffle of and find them or stand by the side to help you unload (depending on the setup)

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 02:17:47 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies

We've been offered a Rice double horse trailer that has good floor and side panels but has a slight 'hole' in one side about 10 inches by 10 inches were someone obviously caught it ona branch or something - this looks to be easily fixable with a couple of pieces of aluminium, 1 in side and 1 outside, with a bit of sealant and a few rivits its should keep the weather out - tyres all look ok and electrics work ( so Im told ) - all for £400.
From the same guy, we've also been offered an old Ifor Williams 10 x 5 cattle trailer, again all sound with good tyres etc - its an older model but its on at £375 ( I know this is slightly off topic )
There's probably a deal to be done for both at around £700 but was wondering what everyone thought ?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 05:22:26 pm »
Even if they needed brakes, lights and a good scrub they are pretty cheap for that price.

Really good price IMO.

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 07:31:13 pm »
Definitely bargain! Let me know if you won't have them  :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS