Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apricot trees  (Read 2138 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Apricot trees
« on: September 29, 2013, 01:39:12 pm »
I would like to grow my own apricots.  I live on the Chilterns and have a south facing garden but don't know whether we will be able to grow them succssfully.  Does anyone else have apricot trees?  where do you live? and do they fruit?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Apricot trees
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:02:35 am »
I planted two last winter - plus a peach -  on south facing walls. I removed most of the fruit but left two apricots on one tree which both ripened and were very good. I also had left one peach that was growing really well and close to ripening when it mysteriously disappeared (animal? child? husband?) although I know there are others in this area that have great peach harvests. I'm in the far South East - near the channel tunnel - and I think we seem to have it drier than most areas. I did have some peach leaf curl on the peach tree earlier on but I removed those leaves and it's looking great now - as are both apricots. In fact, they all need a good prune/train but I have to sit on my secateurs until late spring now. You're not that far north. If it's a relatively sheltered location, I'd give it a go.

H

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Apricot trees
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:12 pm »
I planted a tree (maybe 3-5 years old) in Newmarket and within 7-8 years my daughter was climbing it to pick fruit. It flowered early but fruit once set even after snow sat on the flowers. Pruning and care is important so best read up on that. it seems the ex-wife had the apricot tree cut down this year as it was "dead" ( about 15 years old).
I planted one  here ( Limousin , 500 meters) and despite cold winters it fruited well this year.  It was grafted onto plum stock and 3 branches came out of the runt at the graft area. The wind caught it in august and I lost the main branch with most of the fruit.
Maybe check the stock before you buy and reject any trees that may have a potential weak spot at the graft/branch area.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS