Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: business opportunity?!?  (Read 8949 times)

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
business opportunity?!?
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:06:26 pm »
 :-\  :idea:  :-\ Having just made a 16 mile round trip to pick up a bag of chick crumbs..cos I'm unorganised and didn't stock up.,.I'm wondering if there's an opportunity to open a basic farm shop in the area that I live in in Central Scotland.  One that's open all day Saturday and doesn't sell designer jackets and boots but you can run into with your wellies on when you're in a rush and grab decent priced animal stuff. I know it's not a case of just doing it but I think there is possibly a need for it..does anyone else think that there is a lack of this type of place or is it just me. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: business opportunity?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 12:12:17 pm »
yes, i very nearly did it here. east coast viners / marriages are both good feed stockists willing to deliver. give them a ring.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »
I have a shop down the road at the Trade Centre in Alloa they provide basic stuff like dog food and chicken food and will get stuff in for me if needed, BUT I go to pets needs and feeds in Tillicoulty most of the time, lovely man owns that shop and gives a bit of discount to us ! they deliver all over Scotland but like you, I mis judge just how much food I have left and often have to pop out on a Sat to get some, the one at the trade centre closes early but Pets Needs and Feeds is still open..may have to pop there myself as they have my puppy food!!
I went all over to find some special de urine smeller stuff and found a shop near Falkirk but yes, they are around but hard to find!!

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »
90 mile round trip for me so anyone is welcome to start up here ;D

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:08:22 pm »
Maybe instead of starting a Business as such one of you could say buy in bulk at Bulk discount prices and sell at retail that way one person makes a bit and the others don't have so far to travel, that way you only stock what you'll use anyway.

I stock 6 months worth of pellets, crumb, Barley and we only supply 2 other people, I make £1.10 on a bag of pellets, I'll never get rich from that then.

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:19:19 pm »
 :-\ I don't know but I live 15miles to the west of Stirling and there are no local places that you can just get basic stuff locally and that're open all Saturday or Sunday(renee I know that must sound ridiculous to you!!) ..there was a place up north when I lived near Inverness that had one type of everything and was the ultimate emergency shop so it was actually the best shop as if she didn't have it she'd get it if she knew you'd keep going back.  That's the best shop to have I think, one that works with you so you both in turn help each other.  I looked on-line today at some industrial units to let locally and I won't be jumping in too quick as the price is frightening, if you had a farm next to a main road with a shed it'd really work.  :thinking:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:41:14 pm »
[quote if you had a farm next to a main road with a shed it'd really work.  :thinking:] It would, I take steve to work in N Lanarkshire tomorrow and pass a sign for farm supplies, I rang them up as I want some stuff for cleaning my dog wee wee yard...I was on the phone for ages......I have found a lot of farm supplies but they all tend to be the trendy expensive gear shops rather than the practical stuff. I know when I first had chickens and needed some grit etc, we were going to share the larger bags, that never happened but its a good idea!  There must be lots of small time hen keepers that need smaller quantities as some people have normal houses, no sheds and little storage......that's another thing I am after, storage for our dog food, I bought a lovely screw top hard plastic bin for less than £10, it was used in the brewery fo some thing and its great..not seen any more since!! My supplier delivers all over Scotland..Pet Needs & Feeds  01259 752002 1 Stirling Street, Tillicoultry, FK13 6EA

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:32:38 pm »
my local shop is Boquhan Estates, which is a lovely shop with lovely staff but I don't want to be reminded of the fact that I have a lesser lifestyle than the farming elite..I have a lifestyle that I'm very happy with day to day but when I see jackets and boots for sale for hundreds of pounds it makes me feel that I have to go home and look in the mirror to see if I'm living in my own little comfortable bubble too much in my leggings..then when I get home I think NAH f**k em all I'm happy and live my life for me and keep up with no one!! hee hee  :roflanim: :roflanim:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 11:18:28 pm »
We have a great supplier who delivers for free, for horses, livestock and pets. (Deeside animal feeds). They will get in any special requirements. There are the big boys eg Norvite but they either don't deliver or charge a lot to do so.  You can order and pay online by Tuesday and it's delivered Thursday each week. Brilliant :thumbsup:

Also as a community thing DAF have set up second hand tack selling service, advertising the stuff online etc. Only 10% commission so on a £3 set of used reins they only make 30p! Def a community service rather than profit centre. Because of that I have been going over and uploading all of the tack and photos of each item for them as there were hundreds and no time for the lady to do it as she also runs a boarding kennels. Nearly finished now!

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 08:14:01 am »
If you do look into this further I'd be interested in finding a wholesale coop supplier and medicine supplier.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12:16 am »
We have Central Saddlery just up the road from us (living just outside Falkirk) and despite the name, they don't just do horse stuff. They sell all feedstuffs pretty much, can get stuff in if you ask, sell wheelbarrows and muck forks, electric fencing and they are open from 9am til 7pm every day of the week, which is just brilliant. I often don't finish work til after 6, and yet I can still pop in on my way home and get whatever I need to feed the animals that night.

Sounds like you need something like that....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 11:45:53 am »
I think you need to think through very carefully about having a shop, especially one which is open for long hours.

Who would man it?  If it was you, who would do your smallholding work?  If you employed someone else, you would of course have to pay them.  If it was a co-op then each person would have to spend less time there doing their share of the manning, but would it be economical and would you be left holding the baby when the others had given up on the idea?  How much of your capital would you need to invest in order to have a decent choice for customers right from the start?

Realistically, how much profit would you make?  How much trade would you get?  Would people come to you just for a few odds and ends, like a corner shop, but do their main purchasing in a big store further away, or by mail order?  How many smallholders live within a distance which would make your store sufficiently local and convenient to woo them away from the larger places?

A shop such as you are suggesting opened in our local town and at first it did a fair trade, but then they appear to have found it uneconomical as people never bought much in each visit, just things they'd run out of.   The price you charge would have to be relatively high as you can't benefit from bulk buying (storage and sell-by dates) so your overall turnover is likely to be low, and wastage or 'sale prices' frequent.

My feeling is that it might be better to encourage someone who has a shop already, such as your local pet or hardware store, to stock smallholding supplies as well.  They will always be looking to increase their customer numbers.  That way you can benefit from the advantages but don't have to commit your capital and time to an enterprise which is never going to make you rich.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:47:32 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 01:55:41 pm »
It was central saddlery I was talking about, I was taking Steve to work in Bathgate area and passed it..not been in yet but it sounds and appears good.

I guess you need the fancy stuff to make the £....and lots of stock....
My feeling is that it might be better to encourage someone who has a shop already, such as your local pet or hardware store, to stock smallholding supplies as well.  They will always be looking to increase their customer numbers.  That way you can benefit from the advantages but don't have to commit your capital and time to an enterprise which is never going to make you rich
I agree, lots of shops struggle, they have to have high profit items or sell food to entice people in, its great if you also have loads of family living around to help out or semi retired people living near, a business we looked at was closing as they lived that tiny bit out of the bus route so could not get part time workers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:59:29 pm by happygolucky »

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 04:30:30 pm »
The reason that most shops and/or suppliers sell expensive wellies and other accessories is that there is only a very small margin to be made from selling feed. The margins on animal health stuff are equally small. They need to boost profits by selling accessories just to keep going. Feed is bulky and heavy and a lot of work. Accesories just sit on a shelf.

mcginty

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Tyrone, N.I.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 11:29:55 pm »
Around here there is  an animal feed store around every corner,
i think about four within seven mile.
Where you can pop in with your landy.
Everything from gas, coal, horse feed, the lot.
Would shop around to get the best price.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS