Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kingsmill Bread 50/50  (Read 12113 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Kingsmill Bread 50/50
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:53:04 am »
Whilst making my toast earlier I looked at the packet of "Kingsmill 50/50" bread and unbelievably it says "NOT SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS". It makes me wonder just what shite they really put into food! Who would ever expect bread not to be vegetarian?????/

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Kingsmill Bread 50/50
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:12:45 am »
That is a surprise to me - especially with Kingsmill being one of the better (and more expensive) brands of bread.  Perhaps an email to their customer services department asking if they could explain exactly why it was not suitable for vegetarians, would throw light on the matter. 

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:29:42 am »
Roxy, 1 of the ingredients listed is "fish gelatine" so I would imagine it is for that reason it is not suitable??? Why the hell fish gelatine is required in bread is beyond me.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:36 am »
I'm not terribly suprised, when smokey bacon crisps are suitable for vegetarians all manner of things are possible.

But I was suprised by my finding after following this chain of events...after just reading a Have Your Say comment on the BBC website that refereed to Soylent Green and after reading about it on one of the other posts here decided to look it up on Wiki. At the end of the post there was a link to Real World Analogues. Followed this link to:

Real world analogues
The closest parallels in real life to the recycling concepts in 'Soylent Green' are :

1.L-cysteine produced from human hair, often used in bread products.

Maybe this is why it's not suitable for vegetarians?

An extract of the page it took me to is here:

(R)-Cysteine (left) and (S)-Cysteine (right) in zwitterionic form at neutral pH
[edit] Industrial sources
See also Food safety in China#Soy sauce made from human hair.
At the present time, the cheapest source of material from which food-grade L-cysteine may be purified in high yield is by hydrolysis of human hair. Other sources include feathers and pig bristles.[citations needed]The companies producing cysteine by hydrolysis are located mainly in China. There is some debate as to whether or not consuming L-cysteine derived from human hair constitutes cannibalism[citation needed].

I know we put all manner of rubbish into our food but distilling stuff from human hair...ick!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:58 am »
Sometimes ignorance is bliss...yuck! :o

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:54:07 am »
Fish Gelatine in bread???  I really cannot imagine why. Best not tell my OH, he hates fish, and it sounds like he has been eating it in his bread!!

My friend is a veggie, well turned vegan now, but she stopped eating bread, and maybe she too had looked the ingredients.  I must admit, I do tend to look at whats in things nowadays more than I did, although I wish Sometimes I don't.  Half the things are additives, and you are no wiser when you have looked at the list, as I have never heard of them.

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:08 am »
don't forget about the GM rice with HUMAN genes in it !!!!!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:29 am »
You could always go down the road of making your own .A friend bought a bread maker puts it on at bedtime and in the morning lovely fresh bread. WHICH[consumer watchdog] did some research and found it much cheaper to make your own,plus you know what's in it.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:48 am »
A friend was given some bakery waste bread for his pigs, as it was hard he soaked it in a bucket, drained it and fed the bread to the pigs, as he was left with a bucket of the soaked water he tipped it onto his field, the next day the grass was dead, as though sprayed with round up :o  so yes makes you wonder exactly whats in it!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:47 am »
I think the fish gelatine may be to do with the fact that Kingsmill advertises on this bread that it has "omega 3", doesn't that come from fish???

rustyme

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 11:35:18 am »
it does James , but it is also in hemp oil so there is no need to use the Omega 3 from fish .

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:46:19 am »
Hey Rusty,  I had forgotten about the human rice. You really do wonder.

We make all our own bread and have done for years.  I make rolls each week for hubsters lunches, half wholemeal loaf every 10 days or so, ciabatta or foccacia if we have people round and also a very good line in cinnamon swirld loaf with pecans. Anything that doesn't get eatent he day its made get frozen.

It tastes nicer and is cheaper and doesn't go all pappy when you eat it. Also, have yu seen how long bread, esp cheap stuff, lasts before going mouldy?  That's additives for you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 12:10:00 pm »
I was so horrified by the human hair item that I have posted the information on another forum.  I won't even be giving shop bought bread to my ducks now and it's home made for me from now on.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
I used to buy Kingsmill , but found it went off too fast ( too moist I think ?) . I now but Hovis 'best of both' as I prefer sliced bread for toast ?? I had never really thought about what was in it ? , so I checked , all the usual suspects wheat , wheatgerm etc ..then Soya flour....I will check to see if Hovis use GM free soya , but it is very hard to get any now. 85% of the worlds soya is either GM or GM contaminated.
    This is yet another reason why I am trying to get to the point where I grow everything I eat . I am just so sick and tired of eating all the crap and poison that these companies decide they are going to shove in my food.  There is no need to use fish oil in bread , hemp oil or flour will supply all the Omega 3 we need (http://www.hempsa.co.za/info2.htm ), as for the L-cysteine , we just don't need it full stop . We produce what we need within our own body !!!

cheers

Russ

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »
The Panasonic Bread Machine is brilliant.

I always made our bread by hand, but after surgery could not nead it - Joe bought me a Panasonic, voted best in Good Housekeeping at the time 2004, and it is still going strong and makes wonderful bread, currant brack, and cakes.

Julie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS