Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help needed - sick sheep  (Read 6105 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Help needed - sick sheep
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:22 am »

I'm looking for advice for helping a sick sheep.

He had scour at the beginning of the week. Wednesday he went off his food (he's on nice grass but is also offered coarse mix) so we drenched him with a mix of weetabix, honey, salt and bicarb. He was up on his feet again then, grazing and drinking water.

Yesterday he was up and about but not grazing so we drenched him again, he takes the drench quite happily.

A couple of times when he's been laying down we've gone to check on him and stand him up and it's as if his legs are dead - he doesn't even try and put weight on them, then a few minutes later he's up and about on his own!

I've just been to check him and it's the same again. He baa-d at me but I couldn't get him standing. He doesn't appear to be scouring now but that might be because he hasn't eaten enough.  He is weeing though.

Any ideas or suggestions that we can try?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Help needed - sick sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:07:41 am »
Dehydration? - try some rehydrol and maybe some bicamix ?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 09:09:19 am »
Maybe a bit of ivy to get its gut churning again.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 09:20:29 am »
I have I ivy, I'll pick him some.

I've seen a suggestion for a rehydration solution of water/salt/glucose powder. I haven't got glucose powder could I substitute honey? Or something else?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
Cant see a problem with using it until you can get something from the farm stores thats made specifically for rehydrating.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:02:06 am »
Haven't you just lost a couple?

I'd start to be worried about pasturella etc. Try antibiotics - alamycin, engymycin something like that. Are the rest vaccinated?

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:04:17 am »
Yes we lost two earlier in the week. They've had all their vaccinations.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:42:43 am »
Vet is sorting out antibiotics.  In more positive news he's definitely stopped scouring!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 04:26:33 pm »
Good news - hope he comes right.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 04:29:15 pm »
Sadly he's died in the past few minutes. We think it must have been something they'd eaten.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:38:48 pm »
Sorry for your loss :( .  But being pragmatic, is it worth getting the vet to do a pm. as that is too many to lose in a week IMO. I hope things improve for you.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 04:41:59 pm »
Sorry to hear that :( are you able to move the rest out of the field in the mean time so you can thoroughly check the field over? Might be worth doing if you've got somewhere else to put them. Also how is water supplied to the field?

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 04:44:39 pm »
Sounds serious - I' d ask your vet to prescribe a group 4 or group 5 wormer for the rest.  If they are hanging around the drinking trough a lot, it might be N. Battus, thin-necked intestinal worm. 
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 05:57:57 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

They were in a different area to the others, have caught all the remaining ones and checked them over this afternoon anyway though. They seem fine - particularly if speed is an indication!

They've all had wormer/vaccinations/crovect hence why we believe it's something they've eaten. Will do FEC anyway. Water is supplied via a hosepipe to a trough and filled daily.

They were all cade lambs and two of them already had other health issues when they came to us (and the vet had seen them). When I spoke to the vet earlier he agreed that might have made them more susceptible.

Thanks again for all your comments.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »
We also lost 3 cade lambs begining of last week had all we could think of checked only thing vet came up with is could be the male goat that escaped from next door mounting them?????? all where males lambs.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS