Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tethering a ram??  (Read 7894 times)

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
Tethering a ram??
« on: April 11, 2008, 01:59:58 pm »
Well I am sat looking out of the window into our orchard and typing this (see men can multi task!!) watching two little lambs, called Rolo & Polo cause they're sooo sweet, that were born on Monday soaking up some rays as the sun is shining and thinking 'ah what a wonderful way to spend a few minutes'.

Blimey I get so easily distracted. OK the million dollar question I want to ask the knowledgable folk. Can I tether my ram?? I know living in France has its peculiar customs but don't laugh as you imagine me in wrapped in clingfilm with a role of baling twine doing the deed. It is a serious question and I would like to know.

We need to seperate Sey (he was Bo as in RamBo but now he is Sey as in RamSey as he has a foul temper and attitude a bit like a TV personality who does some warming up of things from time to time) from the rest of the flock as we have been told that he may become aggressive to the wee ones in due course. Is it the done thing to tether a ram and if so how best to go about doing it??

Hope someone can assist.
Cheers
Andy

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Tethering a ram??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 03:41:15 pm »
The short answer is NO!

Do you want the long one? Well......for starters its cruel as the animal cannot get away from weather or danger. He could, if not supervised all the time hang himself or break his leg. It will make any bad temper worse not better.........I could rant on but I wont!

What you need to do is sort out your sheep keeping facilities! First of all so long as there is enough grass etc a ram kept in with a flock will not hurt the lambs...... unless the ram lambs are uncastrated and challenge him when he might knock them about. You are in more danger of him serving his daughters when they start to cycle in about August..........and no they do not have moral issues!

Ram lambs should be castrated unless going for meat before autumn or being kept for breeding, the sweet little ram lambs will otherwise become a gang of testosterone filled hoodies!!!

Your ram needs company if kept apart from the ewes and to that end get hold of a castrated wether for company they will fight a bit to start with and then settle down like a couple of old lads!

To keep him in check you need to make sure he respects you, more people are killed by rams than by bulls! ALWAYS take a large piece of thin plastic pipe with you, the sort they use for water pipes etc. If he attacks swing it with force at his front legs NEVER his head. If you whack a ram around the head he will attack more as he will take it as a direct threat.....fighting rams bash heads!
Never turn your back on him, never pet him or stroke or scratch him behind the ear etc nor feed him by hand. Always ignore a ram unless it is to be caught for something like worming or foot trimming.

If he is really foul, and you really either cannot stand him or don't need his services, DO NOT pass him on to someone else, make him in to sausages or something.

If you need more help please ask I have had sheep for over 25 years
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:00:57 pm »
Thanks for that woolyshepherd, I appreciate your advice.

Ramsey is quite docile really I think I was a bit harsh in my description in my first post and in fairness he is quite a good ram and just gets a bit snotty when I have to catch him to clean his back end or attend to the points you raised. Amazingly strong and can jump like a kangaroo as we found out today whilst giving him a clipping/sorting around the back end as I guess too much rich grass had an adverse effect. Anyway he is back guarding 'his' girls and watching over them in a rammy sort of way.

What is a good age or when is the best time to castrate the little ram that was born Tuesday??

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:13 pm »
Hi FG
Castration by rings is illegal in GB after a week old.....probably similar in FR as legislation on this comes from Brussels! So asap is the answer ;) Have you got the kit? I have put a how to do it bit under lambing and it is pretty straightforward really, if there is a local who can confidently show you how it can help! After about a week it is a vet job....be careful if going for the vet option, a friend took a lamb that was too old for castration by ring to the vet and the vet didn't castrate it but vasectomised it instead ;D

What breed are they?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS