Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple Press for hire in Matlock Area?  (Read 2734 times)

castletop

• Joined Jun 2013
Apple Press for hire in Matlock Area?
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »
Does anyone in the Cromford or Matlock area of Derbyshire have an apple press we could borrow or hire for a couple of days? We picked our apples today as they have started falling off the trees. The press we have was adapted from a stone cheese press and it simply doesn't exert enough pressure on the pomice. We tried it with all our pears last week and only got 5 litres of juice.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:37:52 am by castletop »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Apple Press for hire in Matlock Area?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:14:18 pm »
You haven't got your pommice right. Over half the juice comes out from our pommice from its own weight as we build it up into a cheese prior to us exerting any pressure on it. If anyone is ever visiting our neck of the woods, then we'd only be too pleased to show you what we do.

castletop

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:48:56 pm »
We put it through a scratter but I think the problem is the stone cheese press doesn't exert the pressure needed as the block is only probably 1/4 ton at the most and the mechanism on the cheese press only lowers it up or down so it only relies on the weight of the stone. It just ends up sitting on the cheese. I've noticed that people are using 4 ton car jacks to exert pressure.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:13:15 pm »
I've seen a cider press at Wirksworth farmer's market, and Cromford community event .... but can't think where they come from!
might be worth an internet search

I'll ask round :)
Little Blue

castletop

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:50:00 pm »
Thats great thanks!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS