Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tags, large black pigs  (Read 4262 times)

indie101

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Barnoldswick
Tags, large black pigs
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:37:16 pm »
Hi, can anyone help please? I have three 6 month old large black gilts, which are notched.
I intend to breed them next year, and one will be sold after, so I can introduce a new line. I move them periodically between my two sites, do I need to tag them?

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: Tags, large black pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:34:20 pm »
The notching would indicate that they were registered as pedigree. Did you get transfer documents from the BPA?
As yours were under a year old when you had them, they did not need to be tagged - and will not unless/until they leave your holding. Only then will they need to be tagged with your herd number.
Just out of interest, if you did buy them as registered pedigree LBs, did you then join the BPA? Unless you do, you won't be able to register their offspring as pedigree.
Hope this helps. Please message me if I can help any further. Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

indie101

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Barnoldswick
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:38:55 am »
Thanks for the reply Liz. They are registered as pedigree, I have all their paperwork and will be joining the BPA before they go to the boar. So I will only need to tag the one I intend to sell unless I need to move holdings, then I will need to do all three? I am asking because my holding is rented and the landlord intends to sell next summer and I am looking for a new place for them now so they can settle before they are bred.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:25:27 pm »
quick summary of rules

Pigs don't have to be ID'd except when they move between holdings or to slaughter.
So
  • If it is born and stays on holding - no id needed for as long as it lives
  • If it comes to you untagged, then again as long as it stays on your holding, no ID needed
  • If it comes with a tag or tattoo, again don't need to ID as long as it stays on your holding, and don't need to replace any tags that come off.

Moving between holdings
  • Under 1 yr old can move on a temporary mark - typically paint spray.  It can be tagged (but don't bother it adds confusion) or tattooed (which no-one does for movement, only for some pedigree breeds)
  • Over 1 yr old - must move on a tag with the herd no. of the holding it's coming from, or tattoo ditto - again everyone tags no-one tattoos.

Moves to slaughter
  • Must be a tag or slapmark or tattoo.  No-one tattoos, and many abattoirs don't like tags (check with them)

and that's it

So if you sell over 1 yr old, then tag.  if you sell under 1 yr old, then paint mark
If you move, then tag of herd no. of the holding they come from.

In all cases the tag is the herd no.

Some special rules for moves to show and export - not covered here !

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:45:38 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

indie101

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Barnoldswick
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:58:25 am »
Thanks for the reply, clearer now. So if I move holdings and later sell when they are past 12 months, would I tag twice (holding number and herd number)? I keep reading conflicting advice and don't want to get it wrong.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:06:14 pm »
quick summary of rules

Pigs don't have to be ID'd except when they move between holdings or to slaughter.
So
  • If it is born and stays on holding - no id needed for as long as it lives
  • If it comes to you untagged, then again as long as it stays on your holding, no ID needed
  • If it comes with a tag or tattoo, again don't need to ID as long as it stays on your holding, and don't need to replace any tags that come off.

Moving between holdings
  • Under 1 yr old can move on a temporary mark - typically paint spray.  It can be tagged (but don't bother it adds confusion) or tattooed (which no-one does for movement, only for some pedigree breeds)
  • Over 1 yr old - must move on a tag of the holding it's coming from, or tattoo ditto - again everyone tags no-one tattoos.

Moves to slaughter
  • Must be a tag or slapmark or tattoo.  No-one tattoos, and many abattoirs don't like tags (check with them)

and that's it

So if you sell over 1 yr old, then tag.  if you sell under 1 yr old, then paint mark
If you move, then tag of holding they come from.

In all cases the tag is the herd no.

Some special rules for moves to show and export - not covered here !

love simple no argument replies        :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply, clearer now. So if I move holdings and later sell when they are past 12 months, would I tag twice (holding number and herd number)? I keep reading conflicting advice and don't want to get it wrong.
No, you only ever mark with herd no.

In your particular circumstances, should you have to move holdings and they are over 1 year old then you would need to tag with your herd. no. If you retain that herd no. then you would not need to re-tag on a subsequent molve.  However if AHVLA insist you have a new herd. no. then you would need to retag on a subsequent move.

The rule is over one year old, on movement,  tag with herd no. of the holding they're moving from.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

indie101

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Barnoldswick
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:17:42 pm »
Thanks, understand now it was the section
 '' Moving between holdings
Under 1 yr old can move on a temporary mark - typically paint spray.  It can be tagged (but don't bother it adds confusion) or tattooed (which no-one does for movement, only for some pedigree breeds)
Over 1 yr old - must move on a tag of the holding it's coming from, or tattoo ditto - again everyone tags no-one tattoos''
that confused me,  as I thought ''must move on a tag of the holding it's coming from'' meant tagged with the holding number!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 07:46:27 am »
thanks for spotting that - sorry slack wording - I have amended it for future viewers!
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS