Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Green tomato jam  (Read 3564 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Green tomato jam
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:05:56 am »
I have found another recipe for using up those green tomatoes. As we don't eat chutney, I am going to give it a try. A friend says that tomato jam tastes like strawberry. If anyone wants the recipe I'll copy it out.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Green tomato jam
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:31:31 am »
I would like the recipe please MGoM if you have time to copy it.  I love red tomato chutney made with cherry tomatoes and chillies, but I find that green tomato chutney lacks something - texture, taste, I'm not sure.   So it would be great to find something different to make with the green toms - looks like there'll be bucket loads  :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: (but green)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:57:42 am »
I'll have a go at that - I can't see the rest of my tomatoes ripening now and there's still a lot of them.  CAn you post the recipe on  here please?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:04:58 am »
I made this a couple of years ago and it's still sat in my cupboard.  I've never fancied eating it.  I will be interested to know how other peoples turn out and I might just open the jar and have a taste.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 10:24:04 pm »
Green Tomato Jam.2lbs tomatoes, 2lbs sugar, 4 tablespoons lemon juice.Cut the tomatoes into quarters,cover with sugar and stand overnight. simmer gently, stirring well until the sugar dissolves. Continue simmering until the tomatoes are soft. Add lemon juice then boil rapidly until set. Can add ginger.

I don't know it I will be able to make it this year as I am just about out of jars.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:29:13 pm »
What a shame you're not closer as I have had to chuck out loads of jars, before they came through the attic floor.  I kept back about 100 but most are filled now.
You could ask around amongst your friends to see if anyone hoards them, or even hangs onto a few until they can take them to the recycling.  It seems a shame to waste the fruit because you have no jars.

Thank you so much for writing out the recipe.   It sounds weird but I will definitely have a go.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS