Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis  (Read 3091 times)

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Mastitis
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:19:32 pm »
Long & involved story which I won't bore you with but I have had a struggle with mastitis with an old Jersey suckler cow - I'd only had her less than her a week and the mastitis developed. (she came with a calf at foot)

Despite lots of quick attention, LA antibiotics, intra mammary tetracycline and veterinary visits the vet was forced to amputate her teat on Weds to help the pus drain. She finished her strep/pen course yesterday - quarter still draining thick pus (which is good that it is draining) She is fine in herself - how long do you think it will take till the pus clears?  The vet seemed quite laid back about it all - but then he was quite laid back about it to begin with and things went from bad to worse. I'm not knocking his proficiency - he was really nice and very committed. They see these things all the time - and a lot worse I'm sure.

She's been on cider vinegar and Echinacea and garlic to help support recovery.  I('ve been warned that that quarter may just slough off. It's been horrible for the poor old Jersey and not pleasant for us either. I just would like an opinion on how long before I get in touch with the vet again if the quarter is still oozing pus.  Many thanks. This has been a nasty one  :(
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Mastitis
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:47:50 am »
I haven't got any advice on your cow, but I just wanted to say that we had to do the same thing earlier this year for one of our old sheep.  For some reason, she's 13 and has never had lambs, she had suffered from bouts of mastitis since last summer.  Our vet was very matter of fact about it too.  He said it happens a lot with cows and they cope perfectly well.
She recovered very quickly, but I agree with you that it's not pleasant - although I really think it bothered us much more than her.  In our case the oozing of blood and pus had probably stopped within 24 hours, but maybe there was less of it (which make's sense because the udder is much smaller).  I was terribly worried about fly strike, but I saw no flies bothering her at all.
The only lasting effect has been that the teat drips milk which dries on her and she smells of gone off milk, so she gets regularly wiped down with baby wipes.  She's had no infections of any kind since (I was worried about infections entering through the teat which is now open).
I'm writing this with tears in my eyes as today is her last day.  She's been struggling with old age and arthritis  and the Metacam isn't hitting the pain any more.  This damp weather isn't helping.  We gave her a nice last summer but the kind thing to do is let her go now.  Our lovely vet is coming this afternoon.
If there's any more information I can give you about our udder experience please let me know and I hope your old girl continues to do well.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:06:31 pm »
Thank you. It's really decent of you to reply on a sad day. I'm sorry - I know how you feel. You know made a good decision - after a good summer and before the winter sets in is best.  I'll let you know how she goes on. I kind of dread looking now - hoping those anti-biotics are doing their stuff.    I've been told to let her poor old udder alone - so my friend and very dear work colleague nearly have to tie our hands behind our backs not to bathe it. (we were bathing daily until the teat amputation  Obviously we don't want to delay healing - but her quarter had broken in out in several places - all oozing pus - and one massive extra hole. Keeping the draining points from sealing over completely so trapping with pus inside seems reasonably sensible. Fellow female feeling perhaps but basic nursing it seems to me - but hey!  We will watch with our usual slightly obsessed vigilance .

Thank you again

Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:11 am »
Thank you for your sympathy.  It was a dreadful day even though we knew it was absolutely the right thing to do for them.  Just not right for us as we'll really miss them! 
Poor you.  Your girl's udder does sound in a sorry state and I can understand totally how you must be feeling. If it's any consolation, one of our other old sheep had a big abscess in her udder.  At one point I was worried about her udder actually bursting from the pressure inside.  The vet that could happen and it would obviously look shocking and awful, but not to panic as it's fixable.  The important things were vigilance to catch it early, then cleanliness and antibiotics.  I also spoke to the lady we had bought our sheep from all those years ago, and she said exactly the same thing - it can happen but it's not the end of the world.
I see you're in Kent.  I wonder whereabouts.  We're in Surrey (about 20 minutes drive from J6 of the M25).  We have a fantastic vet who is really a cow person.  I will PM you their details incase you think a second opinion might help you set your mind at rest.
So not really helpful advice I'm afraid, but sympathy and optimism!
Good luck.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:42 am »
i just thought id add something the vet mentioned the other day, which i didnt know before, and might be helpful to those who didnt know. not in reference to this thread though, just about mastitis.

if you are planning on weaning cattle, dont do it during the summer months as the flies can introduce germs into the udder and unless the calf is sucking the milk and cleaning the udder out, the flies can cause mastitis.

:thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:15:59 am »
If its any help, I had a ewe with the sort of mastitis that causes multiple holes in the udder. The vet said it can spread to other sheep unlike normal mastitis, so best to keep separate and good hygiene.

However, Just to give you hope, the sheep fully recovered, and altho I didn't put her back in lamb and later sent her off for the chop, she did make a complete recovery. Best to check with vet whether yours should be used fr breeding again, mine seemed to think there was a risk of the problem recurring with this specific multiple cyst type, so I didn't risk it.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:48 pm »
Thank you all for your replies - I will let you know how we get on. She's a fantastic patient bless her - every day she walks on that crush and,as long as we over-compensate with a good bucket of food, she'll let us do all the nasty things we have to do.  We're very lucky she's so biddable. We are going to have a clean-up and gentle squeeze again tomorrow  and think about next move. I've been told by the vet that it won't affect her ability to rear a calf , the previous owner says it's possible she's in calf - but I for one will be quite relieved if she is not. I can quite believe that she's done her bit and a lot more over the years! You can just tell she's an old pro.  She deserves a good rest now.  I also bought her daughter who is two years younger. She is not such a calm animal and looks decidedly in calf! Now that could be interesting! Thanks again.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
just be careful if you let her stop breeding for a break, it may be hard to get her back into calf again, due to fat around the ovaries etc.

good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS