Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging  (Read 2494 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Tagging
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »
 :wave: Hi all Have another tagging question we brought some pigs a while ago 2 crosses intended for meat but we have decided to keep the sow on they both had 1 metal tag in ear when came i know the boar can be slapmarked with our herd no for slaughter, but the sow and the micro pigs we where given have no tags ect do i have to tag them to sell or keep if so what sort of Tag 1 or2 for the breeding sows.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Tagging
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:50:44 am »
The law allows various options (eg tagging piglets from holding of birth), but for practical purposes the following is best practice and covers legal requirements :
To slaughter - slapmark (both shoulders) or eartag with your herd no.
To another farm - under 12 months old - temporary paint mark
To another farm - over 12 months - eartag with your herd no or tattoo with your herd no.
A pig only needs id on movement, so whilst it remains on a holding it needs no additional ID. 
    So if was born on your holding, it needs no id at all as long as it remains there.
    It arrived on a temporary mark, tag or tattoo, it can stay on your holding without additional ID, and if it loses a tag, this does not need to be replaced.
Any ID added by previous owners cannot legally be removed, so a sow sold 6 times could have 6 ear tags !
There are additional reqs for moves to shows and export.

So whatever you pigs have now doesn't need changing or adding to as long as you keep them.  If they move, follow the rules above.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:38:47 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:02:54 pm »
Thanks what about when any get sent to market do they just have 1 tag with my herd no in
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:28:13 pm »
To market - in practice yes they need :
a tag - if they will go live to another holding - eg selling weaners, breeding stock etc.
a tag or slapmark - if you are pretty sure they are going for slaughter, eg finish pigs or cull sows

Legally you can slapmark a pig going live to live, but you'll confuse the hell out of the abattoir when it doesn't eventually go.
If in doubt, single tag with your herd no. is the safe option.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

fifisoo

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:25:19 pm »
Can anyone tell me where you get the actual tags from?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 07:51:13 am »
Can anyone tell me where you get the actual tags from?

3 recommendations in this thread

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=37540.0

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:10:47 am »
What are these micro pigs I hear much mention of ???

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 09:37:38 pm »
They are normally cross bred alot have pot belly in them and arent meant to get any bigger than a labradoor bu some do although the piglets we have at min i dont think will get very big as at 25 weeks they slightly small than a jack russel

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS