Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disinfecting transportation vehicle?!?!??  (Read 3135 times)

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
Disinfecting transportation vehicle?!?!??
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:21:06 pm »
Hi guys
I've just been reading upon the ins and outs of transportation and they say the area used for transportation needs to be thoroughly disinfected before transportation!!!! Not very specific!!!
Can anyone give me an idea what I need to do to comply with these regs please. And also what would be the best way to transport two little piggys, crate in open trailer, closed horsebox type trailer, back of hubbys pickup (in a crate!!)
I want to give my piggys the best start to their short lives and also comply, within reason, to defra's demands.

Thanks again  :pig: :love:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Disinfecting transportation vehicle?!?!??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »
We buy a disinfectant from the farmer coop place down the road.  We disinfect after we have moved the pigs, think it has to be within 24 hours.  Unless we go to the abattoir in which case they let us use their equipment and disinfectant before we leave. 

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:28:06 pm »
Is it a hosing down affair or a squirt with sprayer and wipe down with a cloth?!?
Can the pen be put on disinfected polythene? (this is when they are weaners, I would probably borrow a proper pig/horse trailer for taking them to the abb.)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:36:19 pm »
Just a warning, horsey people dont like lending trailers for pigs as horses dont like the smell! Our first weaners came home in the back of an estate in a solid box (strictly not allowed but we did!). I've never been officially told to use a certain disinfectant but we used the jet washer at the abbatoir and the vet told me that was fine! i wouldnt put pigs on polythene they'll chew it!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »
The abattoir supply the disinfectant, and I buy some from local farmer co-op for other trips.  Ask in your local feed store; they'll have some.

Also its worth shopping around for pig feed, are there any other small pig owners around your area?  Perhaps you could get together and buy in bulk knocks £££££ off the final price per kilo.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 01:05:47 am »
Is it a hosing down affair or a squirt with sprayer and wipe down with a cloth?!?

Sorry Janette1970, but its a THOROUGH clean down, preferrably with a water jet and you must use a DEFRA approved disinfectant - if you don't have access to a proper animal trailer a pig crate or similar on the back of hubby's pick up will be fine for a couple of weaners - but the rear of the vehicle will need to be cleaned as well.

Ask your vet about which disinfectant to use and he/she will either sell you some or tell you where to buy it locally.

Good luck with your weaners
farmer
 :farmer:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:56:07 am »
Hi,

I use a Disinfectant that I buy from my local Farmers co-op.
I will find the name tomorrow as it was approved buy the Department of Agriculture when the last out break of Foot and Mouth was on.
When I move any pig or animal for that matter I power wash the inside and out of my trailer and wash the vehicle as well.
Then I spray all the inside of the trailer and the the outside, Making sure to pay particular attention to the wheels of both the car and trailer.
I know this seems like over kill BUT it is not what you take with you to the likes of an abattoir its what you bring home!!!.
When you visit a sale, abattoir or even a show you can not guarantee that every animal is in perfect health, I was once talking to an old hand at a agricultural show and he said to me that Most Pig herds have some health issues it is just that the pigs in that herd have built up an immunity to the particular problems in that herd.
But when you introduce new health issues to your herd that is when the trouble starts.
Remember to disinfect especially after visiting the abattoir as there will have being pigs brought from loads of herds, Mostly commercial and this is where the major problems could be brought HOME!.
I will post the name of My Disinfectant tomorrow.
I do hope this helps.
Kindest regards
Joe :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 10:21:03 am »
Do your abattoirs have facilities for cleaning on the premises?  We like doing this as we get a free car wash at the same time.  Probably the only time our car gets a decent wash.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 10:43:12 am »
Yes HM they have a power washer there for everyones use, but wash the floor where the last vehicle was stood first, then youre not splashing all the water back up on your vehicle (and shoes and clothes)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS