Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using ponies on the farm  (Read 2531 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
Using ponies on the farm
« on: September 28, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »
Hi, we have a farm, which we bought last year. We are just finishing geeting one of the roofs on the house watertight before the winter. After this we have many projects such as thinning out the woods which mainly consist of smallish birch, ash and willow - its wet in places and fairly inaccessable by vehicle, except a quad- if we're lucky.
I was considering getting some of my ponies in there to assist with the work in some way - they are all broken and long rein fairly well, I have today longreined my gelding in a harness, which he really didn't mind at all. They are all pretty much bomb proof and my gelding in particular is a real 4x4 off roading machine.

Do any of you use your equines for anything similar, even if it's just carrying back firewood or bales of hay to other livestock - what equipment etc do you use?

It seems silly struggling with a wheel barrow or similar if there is a big(ish) strong pony who'd be happy to help and otherwise watching you as you trudge across the field!

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
Re: Using ponies on the farm
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:52:31 am »
there was a lady at the Smallholders show who uses her Shetland to carrier panniers of firewood, and it can carry a lot.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:26:14 am »
I use a Fell pony to carry bales of hay: one either side of a driving saddle. My old New Forest did it too. I've also used a pony to drag logs out of awkward spots for firewood.  I think it's good training for learning to drive.  I'm sure I've used them for other jobs too, but my mind is blank. Oh, they've pulled a brush harrow around as well.

Useful animals at times...

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:55 pm »
Ask Dan And Rosemary, they work their ponies.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:56:47 pm »
Not properly, just for a bit of fun.

And not at all farm related, just found this when finding the above photos:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS