Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning lessons  (Read 7915 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Spinning lessons
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:36 pm »
Does anyone know where I can get a lesson or two in the Shropshire area? I am really struggling. the people at my group are very good at giving me pointers and it seems to start going well but, as soon as they have gone back to their own wheels, it all goes wrong again. I don't like to keep asking as they are there to do their own spinning but I am getting so frustrated at not being able to do it.

What makes it worse is that I did learn years ago but took up weaving and my ex took over the spinning wheel. I seem to have lost the knack of co-ordinating my hands and feet. I need someone to sit with me and watch me for quite a while and talk me through it.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Spinning lessons
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:56 am »
Lesley, I can't help with spinners in your area but I would say just persevere. I am sure when you originally learnt to drive you wondered how you would manage the pedals, steering wheel and the gears all at the same time. Spinning is much the same. It's practice that helps to make it better.

I must say I am not a good spinner myself but have realised that during the year going to my spinning group my spinning has improved greatly. Just don't give up.

Have you tried iTunes vids?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:09:13 am »
I'd post a question on UK Spinners on Ravelry.  There will be someone or several, it's just finding out who they are!

They'll all tell you that 10 minutes practise a day - not more - will do more to help than anything, but there again I haven't come across anyone that's had a few lessons that doesn't feel it was worth it. ;)  So if that's what you are wanting, you go ahead and push to get it my gal  :-*

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:23:15 am »
Thanks, both and Sally, I'll do that.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »
I know someone in Dolanog near Welshpool who might be able to help but not closer to you than that.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:44 pm »
Thanks, Debbie, I'll bear that in mind and, if I don't have any success locally, I'll be in touch.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:42:26 am »
For me, what worked was just to sit down and work it out for myself.  I never do very well from demonstrations, although they have been helpful with more advanced stuff.  That way I could find a spinning method I understood, which suited me.  I explored the qualities of wool, how it draws out, how it sticks together, how much twist you need (all from finger spinning), different fleeces etc, before I ever tried the actual spinning.  I always like to really understand something, because if I don't know why something happens as it does, and I just copy what I've been shown, then I find it difficult forever.   There's no 'right way' to spin, just what works for you.   Suddenly it will click.   So my recommendation is to practice every day as Sally says, without trying to follow the instructions you've had too closely.  It sounds as if you are getting very tense and annoyed at the whole business - spinning never turns out right if you're uptight, so just relax and accept that it will take a few weeks of practising for a short while each day before you can produce a recognisable yarn.  :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:55:59 pm »
You're right. I am getting tense. The wheel is in the same room as me but all I do it glare at it occasionally. See, I'm even referring to it as the wheel instead of she/her and Betsy.

I have heard from someone on Ravelry who might be able to give me a lesson. I'm sure it won't take long before I get going. I already understand the principles as I learned before and remember that bit. It's just getting a continuous length of wool without it either breaking or the wheel changing direction mid-spin.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:05:14 am »

It's just getting a continuous length of wool without it either breaking or the wheel changing direction mid-spin.

Lesley, I remember that stage well. I was there not long ago but my spinning is looking reasonable these days and it won't take long for yours to be the same.
What you are describing is all about getting a regular rhythm going. You could sit and practice that without any fleece at all. Give the treadle a try. It's good exercise for your ankles if nothing else  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:19:01 pm »
Sally, I can treadle for hours with no problem. It's when I try to treadle and draw out the fleece that it all goes wrong. However, all is not lost. Someone on Ravelry has offered to come and sit with me while I spin to see where I am going wrong.

Watch this space.  :excited:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:15 am »
there are spinning lessons up here - but when i excitedly enquired - it involved riding an exercise bike  :o :o :o

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:31 pm »
 :roflanim: That's all I could find on google as well.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:39 pm »
I know you are talking about spinning wheels but I like this video for basics.
Learn how to spin wool fiber
 When I teach spinning I always encourage new spinners to ply commercial yarn first to get the feel of the wheel and the rythm.
Here is another instruction. Wool spinning by hand
Mind you, that lady's creaking wheel would drive me up the wall. I also suggest not to fill the bobbins at first as the more yarn you have on the bobbin, the harder it is to treadle.
Congrats with a very fulfilling hobby. :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:27:56 pm »
Thanks, Renee. I'll enjoy looking at these. I tried plying some commercial yarn on Saturday at my spinning group. At first it went well then I ended up with a bobbin full of yarn that was partly plied but mostly not. The person next to me thinks my drive band is slipping so I've ordered a new one.

Another spinner saw my post of Ravelry and has offered to come and watch me to see where I'm going wrong. Tomorrow's the day.  :excited: :excited:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:57 am »
Great. I see tomorrow is now today, so even greater

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS