Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lime?  (Read 2327 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Lime?
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:51:40 pm »
We are putting down stone chippings around the sheep shelter I seem to remember seeing somewhere on here about lime mixed in for feet problems? am I right? if so how much is added? and I can only buy straight builders lime here on the Island is that ok? I have a ton of chippings being delivered and hope this might help my girls from standing in mud. Although I am sure it will need topping up.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Lime?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:52 pm »
What kind of foot problems do your sheep have?  If it's footrot then vaccinating with Footvax will sort it out (we also haven't seen scald since vaccinating - once - in 2007 and putting them on clean pasture).  If you're concerned about their clees being denatured due to very wet pasture over the winter can you at least provide a dry lie for the night and arrange things so gateways don't become a quagmire? 

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lime?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:42 pm »
the only times ave seen lime used is in wet or mucky bits when the sheep have to run through it .i have never heard of it being pre mixed with chips or gravel .
[size=78%]on another point the first time i bottomed my sheep pens i done it with 20-50mm whin chips although it worked well it was to sore on there feet . i did it last year with 50-75mm gravel and its working much better and is fine on there feet  [/size]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS