Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vorwerk chickens  (Read 4577 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Vorwerk chickens
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
Hi all,

I bought twelve vorwerk hatching eggs from eBay and got one chick very poor result but a nice chick it is, I think I should have came here first and asked if anyone has some fertile eggs you live and learn. :chook:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Vorwerk chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:33:25 am »
I really like the look of Verwerk hens, but have never had them myself. I recently bought 24 eggs from Ireland, due to hatch on Friday. The woman I bought them from was very helpful and advised me to candle them before setting the eggs.
This was interesting. 8 had airsacs that had been detached by the post and floated around inside the shell. She said these would not hatch, and true enough none developed past a few days. I was also able to see the size of the airsac in the others; the airasacs were expanded loads, in a really uneven way. Leaving them to stand for a day or so does reduce the size of the airsac. I drew a pencil line around the airsac, will be interesting to see if the more distended, the less likely to hatch.

I read since that by setting them vertically in the incubator, wide end up, the airsac is collected and hatch rates of posted eggs can be improved.

I look forward to having breeding pens of my own and better hatch rates!

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:34:07 am »
its not surprising ,, low fertility at this time of year ,, but aviod ebay and the likes ,, you just never know what your getting ,, unless you have bought in the past from the same seller

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:00:28 am »
Hi steph Hen

Please keep us posted on your hatch rate will be very interesting, the vorwerk hens look great cant wait to have some more of them.

Hi taz,

I got the eggs approx 8 weeks ago i should have told you this just, did not have time to post on here due to work.

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:20:30 pm »
Jaymac I keep Vorwerks if you want to buy some eggs, we've had good hatch rates.
Where abouts in the country are you?

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
I am in Scotland just outside Edinburgh, I would be interested in some of your eggs.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:56 pm »
http://www.elainefranksartwork.co.    _Franks_Art_Work/Chickens.html      This site ofers some of the best vorwerks for next spring iv hatched these eggs take a look

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS