Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken being attacked in well established run ....  (Read 2202 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Chicken being attacked in well established run ....
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:46:10 am »
Hi,

We have a chicken run with a mixed flock of birds, all hybrid, 3 White Leghorn, 4 Cream Legbar, 4 Copper Marans and 4 Columbian Blacktails.  All the hens have been living together for about 2 years with the latest addition around a year ago .... that is apart from a rather fiesty Lavender Pekin Cockerel who I took from a friend as a favour - he was added about a month ago.

About 3 weeks ago one of the White Loghorns looked as if she was moulting heavily and there were increasing signs that she was being attacked / pecked at.  This culminated when I saw blood coming from her head, she was being chased down and she was in quite a state. I separated her from the others thinking that is was the sight of red bringing on the attacks.  She has been on her own in a very small run within the main run for about 3 weeks and was looking in good shape again so yesterday I let her out ... or to be precise she got out when I was changing the water but I was about to release her anyway. 

I observered her thinking if all is OK I'll leave her with the others but immediately all the others pinned her down and were pecking at her.  I went to her rescue and put her back in isolation, had I not acted I am certain they would have killed her within minutes.

I was going to purchase 4 new hens to add to the flock but have put that on hold .... does anyone have any suggestions? .... Could the addition of the cockerel have brought this on??

Pete
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:57:12 am by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Chicken being attacked in well established run ....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:15:42 am »
poor girl :/
maybe she should be left in her individual run, then get the new four to go with her? So she is further up the pecking order.

we have had to "shuffle" hens round & come to the conclusion that (like people??!!) there are just natural "victims" and some are just little witches!!

the cockerel will upset the balance a little, but the natural order of hen-ship should stay the same.
Could be the moult has kind of set them off & "allowed" them to pick on her...
(I know what I mean, does it make any sense to anyone else?!)

hope she isn't hurt :chook:
Little Blue

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:14:52 pm »
Thanks Little Blue,

I was thinking along those lines ... possibly put one of the others in with the 5 (1 + 4 new) of them too so the numbers are more equal when re-introduced. At one time this White Leghorn was well up the pecking order!

I've never had a problem like this before ... its a tricky one and awful to see.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:20:52 am »
No idea sorry
Thought I'd reply just so you know people are thinking about your troubles

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:32 pm »
Thank you ... any other thoughts most welcome.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:02 pm »
maybe she is poorly and they sense it?
once they start pecking its a bit of a bother as they all copy.
can you separate the hen until her health/strength is 100% and then cover her in anti-pecking spray when she is re-introduced? adding 4 more hens would take the pressure off her i expect.
we had a lovely gentle cockeral who completely bullied by 20 ex-commercial hens - they were completely free range through the day but they had to sleep separately for his own good. they all used to hunt him down (like a pack of dogs) and lay into him really bad til he cried and his head was covered in blood. he use to hide under the cars so we had to rehome him which was a huge shame. (he went on to be an aggressive cockeral and use to attack his new owners when ever they went near his new hens  ::) ::)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:30:11 pm »
Hi Shygirl,

Thank you for your reply.  She is currently and has been separated from the others for a few weeks. On face value she is on face value back to full strength and I don't think she is ill or anything.

Your advise regarding the anti pecking spray is a good one.  I'll get some in stock and may apply some to the new ones when introduced to her just to ensure the bullied doesn't turn into the bully!

Many thanks

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS