Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wow, this packs a punch  (Read 1865 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Wow, this packs a punch
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »
A friend gave me some crabapples. I have never used them before but thought it rude not to do something with them.
Have just made crabapple and chilli jelly. Its very clear and a lovely rose` colour and sweet and hot at the same time.
1.5kg crab apples (I only had 0.5kg so reduced the rest or the ingredients accordingly)
100g birds eye chillies
water
sugar
extra chillies optional
wash crabapples and put in large saucepan. roughly chop chillies and add to pan. Cover with water and bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until crabapples are soft. Pour misture into a colander, capturing the juice in a pot below. Put this juice through a colander or sieve lined with 2 thicknesses of muslin.
Measure liquid into large pan and for each cup of liquid add a cup of sugar. Bring to the boil and cook over medium heat for 12 to 15 mins or until setting point is reached (mine took longer than this even though I had less liquid)
Remove from the heat and allow bubbles to subside to 2 mins as the most. Remove any scum with a slotted spoon. Pour into warm steralised jars and seal immediately unless you are adding the optional chillies to the jat. If so leave the jars unsealed for approx 2 mins then insert the chilli so that it sits decoratively in the jar, then seal immediately.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Re: Wow, this packs a punch
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:50:02 pm »
That sounds lovely. Have both crab apples and chilli. Might try this.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Wow, this packs a punch
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:14:13 am »
It does sound tasty. Just froze a load of chillies. Just need to find some crabapples  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS