Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally....  (Read 7885 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Finally....
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:06:17 pm »
The brown one is mine, all three will run in the commercial flock and be tupped this year by a Dutch Texel.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Finally....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »
Lovely looking sheep. Is the fleece any good for spinning?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:24:42 pm »
I'm not a fan of horned sheep, but do like the look of these  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 12:30:17 pm »
They're lovely :-)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:38:54 pm »
Very nice. Love the mix of fleece colours  :spin:  :knit:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »
Damn - I could have sworn a 'funny looking' little flock by the road near me were Icelandics. Now I'm not so sure...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »
Lovely looking sheep. Is the fleece any good for spinning?

Hoooohhh yeah!!!!!   :excited: :spin:

Should be double-coated; outer is tog, inner is thel (or the other way about, never can remember), mixed is lopi.  Thel (inner) very very soft, felts very very easily; outer is very hardwearing.  Think Icelandic jumper!  :idea:  Felted slippers!   :excited:  Ooooh, lots of uses!    :spin: :excited: :knit:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »
I'm not a fan of horned sheep, but do like the look of these  :thumbsup:
Exactly what himself said when we saw our first last year at Lanark.  Good strong ewes, hardy as heck.   :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 05:49:13 pm »
Damn - I could have sworn a 'funny looking' little flock by the road near me were Icelandics. Now I'm not so sure...

These are particularly fine specimens - big strong girls.  They are actually 7/8 Icelandic, 1/8 Berrichon.  So the ones you see could be Icelandic, depending on how different they are...  If you post some pics we can try and work it out  :eyelashes:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:49 pm »

These are particularly fine specimens - big strong girls.  They are actually 7/8 Icelandic, 1/8 Berrichon.  So the ones you see could be Icelandic, depending on how different they are...  If you post some pics we can try and work it out  :eyelashes:

That might involve crashing my car.... ;D

But these are all brown, similarly horned though. I know its not much of a description, I only get a good look at them in a traffic jam.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »
Steve, the ones you are seeing wouldn't be Castlemilk Moorits or Manx Loaghtans, would they?

Top pic is a Castlemilk Moorit, 2nd a Manx ewe with her Shetland X lamb.  You can get Manxes that are shaped like the Castlemilks, same horns too, but the all-over dark brown of my Manx in this pic.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 09:35:11 pm »
lovely!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 10:17:05 pm »
Steve, the ones you are seeing wouldn't be Castlemilk Moorits or Manx Loaghtans, would they?

Top pic is a Castlemilk Moorit, 2nd a Manx ewe with her Shetland X lamb.  You can get Manxes that are shaped like the Castlemilks, same horns too, but the all-over dark brown of my Manx in this pic.

No - they are much more 'heavy set' than those, more like the first pic, but it makes sense if they have Berrichon  in. Some of my woolshedders have a bit in, and some have Friesland - I'll post a pic of a Berrichon 'throw out' you can tell by the pink noses....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 12:03:25 am »
Most likely Manx Loughtan which can be quite sturdy and there's plenty of them about.

Sally - I love the sheeps  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: 8)  in fact I'm quite envious  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 08:07:23 am »
one day i need to come up with an excuse to go visit sally and have a look at all her different sheeps!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS