Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: misdescribed houses, any stories ?  (Read 1494 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
misdescribed houses, any stories ?
« on: August 08, 2009, 11:36:12 am »
I remember back in the early 90's when I was house hunting in Devon. Of course this was pre internet. So house details came through the post.

One cottage, or to be precise a pair of cottages struck us as being sutiable.

We made arrangements to view, and drove down from London.  The keys were left at a local pub for us. The landlord said little but had a slight smirk on his face.

The cottages were down a little lane, miles from anywhere. Perfect.  My first impressions were good. They were set in a little dip surrounded by trees and a little forest.

We did not have time to go inside, when a truly LOUD noise arrived. We looked up and saw a huge American bomber decend. I thought it was crashing as it was so low. Moments later before we had the chance to talk to each other ( it was that loud ) a F15 fighter jet took off. Yep, a runway.

We walked up through the forest and to a perimiter fence.  We gazed upon row upon row of fighter jets and bombers.  It was at the start or Iraq war 1.

If I could have got close to the estate agent who wasted my day , and a few hundred miles of fuel, I swear I would be writing this post now from prison.

Anyone have stories to share ?
Kevin

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: misdescribed houses, any stories ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:03:08 pm »
Kev, we live within a stones throw of RAF Leuchars and have totally switched off from the noise of the aircraft. However, 2 years ago the main runway was closed for 9 months to be replaced so the "short" runway was used - this took the flight path directly over our roof and it was hell. If they were scrambled in the early hours of the morning you would get such a fright thinking they were landing on the roof. I could still stand and watch the planes as they are so mesmorising.

On the other hand when the Air show is on in September we have the most amazing views and get to enjoy the practice flightsa few days before. Last year the Vulcan was here but the weather was so bad it could not fly on the day, but we saw it on the Friday which was well cool, it is coming back this year so fingers crossed the weather is better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS