Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turning over the veg patch (the easy way)  (Read 4351 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Turning over the veg patch (the easy way)
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:59:35 am »
So I'm there thinking what shall I do for an hour before dinner, we have an area of 20 metres x 10 metres that's pretty rough, patches of stone, lots of bramble I tried the rotovator on it 6 months ago it just wouldn't touch it. so I decided I would dig the whole thing over to a depth of 750mm (yes 3/4 metre) in order to get the majority of weeds out.
So I put my gloves on and got started before I new it "dinners ready" well an hour gone 20x 10 all dug over and 2 piles of weeds ready for bonfire
Thank goodness for mini diggers  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Turning over the veg patch (the easy way)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:34:45 am »
Show off  :roflanim:

Come and do my veg patch  :fc:

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:42:54 am »
Just get some pigs, job done!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »
yep - my daughter came for a weekend and together we moved the pig fence so that they now rotavate part of the veg patch. She was not keen on scooping up their old toilet area to put on another part of the veg patch though. :innocent:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:53:31 am »
Pigs are coming, we bought and built a sty, just need to top the trees and put their fence up job done they can move in. Just writing their tenancy agreement  :roflanim:  they can stay 18 weeks or 80kg whichever the sooner, no naughty business, do not trespass on next doors  :roflanim: As long as they can read they respect the terms of the tenancy I'm sure we will get on fine.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:31 am »
Pigs are coming, we bought and built a sty, just need to top the trees and put their fence up job done they can move in. Just writing their tenancy agreement  :roflanim:  they can stay 18 weeks or 80kg whichever the sooner, no naughty business, do not trespass on next doors  :roflanim: As long as they can read they respect the terms of the tenancy I'm sure we will get on fine.
Good luck with that  :-J If there's a will there's a way with pigs  ;) NEVER underestimate how clever or strong they are - it never fails to amaze me  ::)  :D

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:45 pm »
Hope the pigs settle in OK AndynJ . Brave of you overwintering the pigs. I hope that you have a mild and kind winter. Maybe check out a technique to ensure that you can get wate to them when you have a freeeze.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:16:57 am »
Hope the pigs settle in OK AndynJ . Brave of you overwintering the pigs. I hope that you have a mild and kind winter. Maybe check out a technique to ensure that you can get wate to them when you have a freeeze.
We live in Devon, 1/2 mile from the sea we had 8mm of snow last winter it lasted 3 hours, that's the 4th time it's snowed here since records began 64 years ago. next door grows oranges & lemons outside and our place used to be a violet farm. We have rainwater tanks that I can just pop a bucket into. I intended to run a water pipe from the rainwater tanks to an IBC tank with both a trough and an on  demand drinker. the IBC holds 1000 litre (rainwater tanks are 26000 litres each) tap water is expensive here.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:06 pm »
Sounds like a nice area and you certainly have the water issue covered. Lucky you - the metal bars around our 1000 litre water IBC were buckled after the cold last year and we had massive "ice cubes" well after the thaw. At one stage the animal water was freezing within 20 minutes so I envy your local climate.
I guess that you can grow early veg too !  :wave:   
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:59 pm »
Yep and we have just bought a poly tunnel 42 feet x 28 feet  :thinking: :farmer: 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS