Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pre tupping/Flsuhing period  (Read 2391 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Pre tupping/Flsuhing period
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »
I plan to flush my ewes this year and give them all a good M.O.T before going on there holidays!

Few questions;

1. When to start flushing, at 4 or 6 weeks pre tupping?
2.Does anyone give there ewes concentrates to flush or is it just fresh grass? If so how much concentrate feed?
3. I understand a lot of you do FEC's but that's a different topic. Should I use a combined wormer and fluke or just worm them?

Thanks all  ;D

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Pre tupping/Flsuhing period
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:25:52 pm »
I plan to flush my ewes this year and give them all a good M.O.T before going on there holidays!

Few questions;

1. When to start flushing, at 4 or 6 weeks pre tupping?
2.Does anyone give there ewes concentrates to flush or is it just fresh grass? If so how much concentrate feed?
3. I understand a lot of you do FEC's but that's a different topic. Should I use a combined wormer and fluke or just worm them?

Thanks all  ;D

1) Up to you, really - depending on the condition of your ewes.
2) I don't flush, but if I did, I'd do it on grass - it all depends on the type of ewes you have. Flushing things like lleyns is a bad idea unless you can cope with a lot of triplets.
3)Only worm if there is a worm problem - don't bother if there isn't. This is where your FEC comes in.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:32:23 pm »
If you are in a fluke area, then you must fluke.  You can't rely on a FEC.  Ask your vet's advice on this one.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:29:55 am »
Thank you both! Sally I have no idea if there is fluke in the area so I'll talk to my vet.

Steve, I would say all of my ewes apart from 2 are up to condition now. I've got them on fairly tight grazing but the grass is good so it may have to be concentrates to push them?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20:19 pm »
It all depends - flushing is more about a rising plane of nutrition causing more eggs to be released. I tend to put mine to the tup at cs 2.5-3 (and certainly no more) and I get good lambing percentages, usually. Lots put theirs to the tup at 3-4. It all depends what condition they started in. I don't like my sheep to get anywhere near CS4, because I believe sheep over 3 are too fat and won't lamb themselves etc, but I'm probably in the minority...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS