Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ripening beans  (Read 2483 times)

Hardfeather

Ripening beans
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:24:37 pm »
I planted some dwarf French beans this year, but the area has since been swamped a bit by Fennel seedlings hich have grown up and are abscuring much of the light from the beans. There are beans set, and they seem to be growing, but I'm not sure if they are going to do well or not.

Should I cut the Fennel back, or will the beans come to fruition if they are shaded?

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Ripening beans
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22:03 pm »
Mine were shaded by peas,trashed by a rabbit and are now in the shade of sweetcorn,and still they're chucking out "haricots vert". I suspect if they were in full sun they would have matured and fruited a lot quicker. I have let them go on to produce the mature beans to be podded,rather than picking sooner for the "mange tout" though........Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Hardfeather

Re: Ripening beans
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
Thanks. :)

I'm new to all this veg growing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS