Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep fleece  (Read 4955 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Sheep fleece
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:19 pm »
My oh suffered a severe hand trauma  on 1st June. He has had 1 major surgery followed by 6 further surgeries. He is making slow progress. What he is now experiencing is a cold hand . If I was to get some sheep fleece, is it possible to make this into a muff or mitten to wrAp around his hand to keep warm. Or is this a ridiculous idea

Advice please
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Sheep fleece
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:38:00 pm »
I think it depends on what you can do.  Spin?  Knit?  Felt?

If you know how to spin and knit then you could spin a thick mitten, or even just a bag with a drawstring at the wrist if he's not using his hand much (would keep the thumb warmer).  If you can knit but not spin you can draw fleece out into a thick length and knit it into a mitten or bag on large needles.  If you can felt, make some thick felt and make a bag or mitten from that.  If you can knit and felt, then knit an oversize mitten and felt it down until it's the right size.   Or, if you have a not too thick sheepskin, you could cut that up and make a mitten or bag with the woolly side in.  If he were to wear a thin silk glove inside the mitten that would help a lot - silk gloves are available in motorbike shops for not too much

Or, you can get heated gloves (in motorbike shops for example) and blocks which you keep in your pockets and when you bend them they give off heat (maybe in fishing shops)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:40:08 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:32 pm »
Cheers fleece wife

The problem is he can't wear a glove. I have just realised that its probably sheepskin I'm looking for as fleece wouldn't have any support...

In my head I was thinking long rectangle of ? Wrap it up and secure to make a muff type thing , but I'm not going to be able to do that with fleece am I?

pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:09:21 pm »
No  ;D

But if you have sheepskin then make a bag, much bigger than his hand, with a wide top which you can secure closed.  If you make it really roomy then he can move his hand freely inside to do his exercises - it will be wonderfully cosy.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:15:45 pm »
That sounds just the job, where will I source sheep skin from?

Btw did you used to have a soay called Guinevere or something like that

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:11:17 am »
That sounds just the job, where will I source sheep skin from?

Btw did you used to have a soay called Guinevere or something like that

Yes that's me  ;D  and Daisy and Tuppence were mine too  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:   You must know Jo.....

For sourcing sheepskins, they sell them in woollen mill outlets, and some butchers have them too, at about half the price you could buy them from someone who gets their own skins tanned.  The quality isn't so good and they will be plain white or dyed, but for chopping them up as an experiment they will be fine.
You should also be able to get them online.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:38:30 am »
Thanks for all that info, on a mission now!

I have their offspring

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:11 am »
Are you in Australia?  ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:15:35 am »
 :roflanim: if you click on the image they are in uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 12:53:48 pm »
Nope, still upside down!  They look nice :) - would be nicer the right way up, is all! :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 01:40:23 pm »
They do look cute, pity I can't stand on my head for very long :-)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:03:31 pm »
Moderators.....can you make my sheep flip over please

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 03:46:48 pm »
they look the right way up to me ;)  or am i upside down ???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:57:29 pm »
Definitely upsidedown, but that's ok for me cos I've seen them before  :thumbsup:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 08:52:06 pm »
Definately upside down for me too.

Another thought for the muff/bag thing.
If you made it long enough for his forearm to be inside as well that might help support and warm better.  Depends how active he's able to be,if he has to keep it in a sling you could make a sheepskin one. Start  a trend. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS