Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GFD wethers quick question I need answered please  (Read 1712 times)

Lorrie66

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Near Buckingham in Bucks
GFD wethers quick question I need answered please
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:17:56 pm »
Hello there

I have just got my two GFD wether lambs ( 6 months old now) . They are great and I hope settling in nicely!
I had bought from Countrywide some sheep pellets just as a bucket training incentive but having read the label when I got this home it says - do not feed to males. I had asked for a feed that was OK for wethers so I am wondering is this OK and if not what does anybody recommend for a bucket training/hello how are you treat?

Also, I have two but now wondering would 3 be better???? I somehow feel they would prefer another. They will eventually be out with our two horses but probably not for a month or so .

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: GFD wethers quick question I need answered please
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »
 Wedders are male so feed not ok for them a general sheep mix should do and yes three would be better than two in case you loose one.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »
Hi there - you shouldn't feed them the pellets if it says unsuitable for males - they can cause bladder stones which they cannot pass. I use grass pellets for bucket training (they are just pure grass so harmless - you may already have some for the horses?)

Also, when you put them in with the horses, I would set up some electric fence tape to give them a refuge. My sheep are in with a docile little pony who gets on well with them, but the 2 horses will definitely chase and kick them given the chance.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:52:22 pm »
I think pellets can cause stones and urinary problems for wethers or rams.

We use coarse mix for sheep as our treat for bucket training and also fed this during the winter when the tup was in with the ewes.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 03:57:24 pm »
Yes three is a better number than two, and feed a general sheep mix/pellets suitable for both males and females. If you haven't opened the bag you can probably exchange it for another one. Surprised your merchants sold you one that's not suitable for boys...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS