Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grrrrrr!  (Read 4563 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Grrrrrr!
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:28:28 am »
Woke up this morning to find that some b*stard has been through our outhouses/sheds in the night and stolen a 6 month old pressure washer.  They ripped off the heavy-duty padlock from the door of the shed and left all the other shed doors wide open.  They must even have looked in the wood shed right next to the back door, as that door was wide open to.  The 3 dogs in the house never barked at all  ::).   

I am not sure what else was taken - can't see anything obvious, but will have another look when I get back from work this afternoon.   The pressure washer was about £400 but it's just that horrible feeling that someone has been through your stuff/on your land etc that is far worse than what has been actually taken. 

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: Grrrrrr!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:34:37 am »
I have been thinking about CCTV when we get our place,  isn't it sad when you can't trust people anymore,
sorry to hear about the PW

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:53:52 am »
I had similar at our old place but in broad daylight and they came back to steal more while I was on the phone to the police.....:-o it really does feel horrible.

We acquired some spiky fencing and a rescue Doberman (failed guard dog but they didnt know that :-)) and had no more problems strangely, but CCTV might help. Just make sure it's up high as the same group nicked the one the council put up to try to film their fly tipping :-0

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:59 am »
Yes, we were discussing CCTV this morning afterwards!   We used to have a rottweiler who lived outside and we never had an problems with break-ins.  After he died we haven't replaced him though and so perhaps we ought to rethink that too, as despite him being a big cuddly bear, he frightened everyone to death that came to the gate!   

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:33 am »
So sorry to hear about the break in. Apart from the cost and inconvenience it's horrible to know that someone has been there and it makes you feel so vulnerable  :hug:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:26 am »
 :hug: Rubbish thing to happen. Hope the PW blows up in their faces  :rant:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:14:47 am »
Very sorry :hug: .  Know the feeling >:( and I expect a lot of us on here are vulnerable too.  the rural crime preventin lot are sometimes helpful.  Noisy alarms are best IMO for scaring off (and a big dog ;) ).  Hope you catch the b*****s

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:22:32 am »
Yes, we were discussing CCTV this morning afterwards!   We used to have a rottweiler who lived outside and we never had an problems with break-ins.  After he died we haven't replaced him though and so perhaps we ought to rethink that too, as despite him being a big cuddly bear, he frightened everyone to death that came to the gate!

I would def consider it then. Certainly the local types at our old place would avoid a black and tan dog like a mile. It's the only thing they were really wary of tbh, alarms etc didn't bother them too much. And there are zillions of Rotties looking for homes in shelters, nice ones.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:57:26 pm »
The only problem with dogs is that it's not unknown for thieves to throw in drugged or poisoned meat to put the dogs out of action. Frankly, I'd sooner lose any number of items than one of our dogs. CCTV is safer.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:23 am »
Yes, that's the only think that worries me about getting another dog - needs some very careful consideration and not something we will rush in to.   I think for now we are going to concentrate on getting a CCTV set up and some additional lighting options.   Two policewoman came out yesterday to have a look at the damage caused to one of the sheds and to make out a report, so at least we have the crime reference number now to claim on the house insurance for a new pressure washer.  Thanks to you all for your kind messages  :hug:

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:43 pm »
How good are geese... i have never had them, but most farms i have visited have had a couple and what a noise they made when i turned up ......

its something i am thinking about

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »
They're not so great as alarms as they screech most nights even when nothing there. But if a baddie does turn up, they are quite a good deterrent.

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 02:23:05 pm »
Geese are brill in the day time...I hate them, nasty things !!! (I dont know about night time though)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 04:19:50 pm »
So not much use with a neighbour who works shifts then  :innocent:  Pity, would have made use of my old duck shed and cage.  Actually wondering about getting more ducks and making 100% sure I shut them in EVERY night!  :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS