Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sleeping with the enemy  (Read 5010 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Sleeping with the enemy
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 09:00:51 am »
Not so many daddy long legs but wasps in abundance. I think its down to the lateness of this years plum harvest (here anyway) and when we were in cornwall it was impossible to have an ice cream or coke or anything, blardy things. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
Yes lots more daddy longlegs than usual, I'd already commented to OH. In water buckets - and in the house, :-(

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 04:10:15 pm »
I am absolutely terrified of them! For no reason, I cannot be in the room with one!!! One was in the car last night, I slammed on the break and ran out of the car- luckily it was a quiet road, and Hubby was there to get it out of the car. I am completely irrational about them!
I am with you on this one, I have an irrational fear of them. I don't care about spiders or snakes but a daddy long legs will turn me to jelly. Absolutely ridiculous. I got one caught in my long hair when i was a child and in trying to get it out it fell to bits and i just freaked out. My Mum took ages to calm me down. That fear has lived with me all these years. I also freak if there's one in the car it's dangerous but i can't help it! :o

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:34 pm »
There are ridiculous numbers of them this year. Oh well, they keep the cats amused.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 09:54:52 pm »
I've only seen one so far this year. They don't bother me but I did wake up one morning and discover I had shared the bed with a very large spider and it was still ALIVE.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 02:14:53 am »
I've only seen one so far this year. They don't bother me but I did wake up one morning and discover I had shared the bed with a very large spider and it was still ALIVE.

AAAArgh!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »
Exactly. And to make matters worse, I thought it was dead until I tried to pick it up.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »
Don't mind the old Daddy LL ... not a lover of big spiders though  :innocent:

my worst bed enemy is blue cheese  :roflanim: it started one day in france, H & me bought some lovely local blue cheese... the sort you put down knowing you want another bit right away...anyway! i had been hitting this blue cheese all day, on crackers, or that crispy bread they do.... that night helen cooked a meal and sprinkled more blue cheese over it.......

halfway through the night..I sat up watching this 2ft blue spider walking down the wall, being followed by a 4ft long blue lizard ..... helen woke up and asked me if i was ok....."look" i said, "look at that blue spider" "Your Dreaming Dear" she said....yet it was sooooooo real ... and even worse...it was so clear  :thinking:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:35 pm »
Remind me never to overdose on blue cheese (which I love).  I've had nightmares about spiders but not that big. I think I might just die of fright.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 11:50:08 pm »
ANY cheese after early evening gives me bad dreams/nightmares, learned a long timeago to not to risk it, and yes, they do seem SO real.
when in living in Scotland we had a lean-to against the house where we kept the wood for the fire, when I went to get some to break it up, it was alive with earwigs. after that I woke up hitting the pillow which I could see earwigs all over it - in the pitch black night? bad dream. (that was over 30 years ago and I still remember it vividly)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 12:28:55 pm »
Wasps and hornet season so i check the bed every night and sometimes have the fuff of getting them out of a window without them releasing a distressed signal for all their mates to turn up. We had 3 deaths around here caused by hornet attacks last year and so I won't kill them now.
And just for you snake lovers I lost one in the wood pile yesterday.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS