Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marrow Rum?  (Read 5859 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Marrow Rum?
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:20:21 pm »
Given the enormous marrow (i.e. overgrown courgette) I discovered earlier, I thought I'd have a go at marrow rum. So I had a quick google and have hollowed out my marrow, poked a couple of holes through the end with a skewer, packed it with brown sugar (and a pinch of fast acting yeast, for insurance), put it in a muslin bag and stood it over a jug. This was about five hours ago and I've already got over half a pint of liquid in the jug and all the sugar has disappeared. Is that normal? Will it now ferment in the jug? I had assumed it would ferment in the marrow first and then once the flesh had broken down a bit, it would drip through. Should I have waited before poking my holes (they probably went all the way through the flesh too?).

And how do you keep fruit flies and wasps out of this arrangement? I know the fruit flies can oxidise the alcohol hence the normal need for air traps when fermenting, but can't work out how to seal this arrangement.

H

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Marrow Rum?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:19:33 am »
Sorry Hester I can't help but I'm watching this thread with interest as I was thinking of giving it a go too.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:31:24 pm »
Never heard of this before so watching with interest.

As far as the fruit flies go, how about another layer of muslin covering the jug and marrow? Finding it hard to picture this arrangement though.

Good luck!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:13:55 pm »
I think the poking of holes was probably a step too far. Have never made it myself, but as far as I remember you are supposed to just wait until the bottom end get s soft enough for the liquid to drip through.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:53:34 pm »
Think you're right Ina. Spotted the recipe in the Strawbridge book Practical Self Sufficiency and they certainly leave it a long while before poking holes - if it hasn't already leaked out. So I've chosen a second marrow from the wide variety available, half filled that with sugar and poured in some of the liquid that had come out of the other one. It smells pretty good actually although is mostly sugar solution to taste.

I'm quite excited - it's certainly a simple recipe if I can keep the fruit flies off (colder weather helping on that front). Will keep you all posted. Reckon a bit of ginger in there will make it really lovely!

H

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:17 am »
I think you might need some gaffer tape!   :innocent:

Definitely poked the holes waaaay too early!

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:56:25 pm »
So...   what happened?
 :yum:  or  :tired:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:22 pm »
It's pretty good actually. Mighty sweet and it never really showed any signs of fermenting but it tastes quite strong now. I gave my parents a series of mystery taste tests over the festive season and they liked it but hadn't a clue what it was (which I guess is good!).

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:07:06 pm »
slide the whole set up inside a clear plastic bag and close off the top with a cable tie to keep out wild yeasts and fruit flies .

I used to use a pair of ladies washed laddered panty hose with one leg slipped inside the other to make th hanging container for eh sugar filled marrow and in the bottom of the suggested plastic bag I put a sterile food grade plastic bucket to collect the fermented marrow juice.

Adding a few dessert spoons of dried ground ginger to the yeast and sugar mixture gives a nice liquor for making your wine  if you like a strong ginger beer type flavoured wine.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS