Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woodland Trust?  (Read 3846 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Woodland Trust?
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:15:14 pm »
Has anyone dealt with the Woodland Trust? I contacted them regarding the possibility of any grants to grow trees. They helpfully got back to me with a load of questions I need to answer after which they may well make a site visit to offer advice at worst, and possibly be able to contribute to the cost of tree planting.

Has anyone ever done this through them?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Woodland Trust?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:34:48 pm »
No, would be interested to know. What scale do you have to be planting at? Do they all have to be native English traditional trees? Wonder whether they cover fruit trees?

H

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:38:49 pm »
I thought they only did that for woods which will be open to the public to access, but I'm quite likely wrong, that's often the case with things I think :excited: :dunce:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:22 am »
I have had quite a bit of support from them recently.

I wanted to plant 2ha and so started applying for support under the SRDP rural priorities scheme but after a few weeks of struggling through the statement of intent and discovering that the actual application was another 100hrs work I got fed up and gave up.

I got in touch with the Woodland trust, mostly because I thought their More Woods scheme would be easier.  They asked a few questions then passed my details onto their local officer who then came out to visit.  She was helpful and a week or 2 after the visit sent me a detailed report of my options.  Her report was brilliant as it contained all the information that I needed for the SRDP application so I was inspired to have another go at the application (which has now been approved, fencing to be built and trees to be planted this winter).

Under the More Woods scheme I think they supply trees and tubes at very little cost and you are responsible for planting.  I don't think there is any requirement for public access (but then in Scotland there is public access everywhere anyway).  It wasn't really suitable for me as I have too many tree killing vermin (deer) and they don't help with the cost of fencing.

The goal of the WT seems to be to help people plant native trees regardless of method so they will help you find the best means of doing that regardless of what route you go down.  Even though I have the grant approved I am still in touch with the Woodland Trust officer who is always willing to help eg "where do I get crab apple trees with a local provenance?" "what is the best way to control weeds?" "do I need vole guards?"

I have been really impressed with the help they have given me and if you are serious about planting some trees then get in touch with them.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:12 am »
They seemed helpful. I had to show that I'd spent money planting 600 willow, 600 native hedging plants, 100 hazel, 50 ash already. P,us I've just bought 1km of weed matting and 1000 rabbit guards so enquirer if they offered any financial support with the actual trees.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:25:43 am »
The Forestry Commission is taking over land and deer fencing it under a similar scheme, planting out, and allowing access to the general public.  I have been communicating with a  very helpful chap and he has given me a map of 10 gated areas where I can run my dogs - just perfect!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:38:10 pm »
The only downside near us is that fenced woods are sometimes used by some dog owners (not Dogjangos ilk) or dog walkers who use the fenced aspect of it as a reason to not bother training any recall on their four or five dogs, which makes it not great for small children who get bowled over by the hoarde or horseriders who get a bunch of dogs with no owner evident anywhere, running amok round the horses under their legs or holding them at bay.

Agree it's a good idea and very useful for non 100'% with eg deer or livestock dogs, just wish there was still some element of knowing where the dogs were and what they were doing with some owners.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 12:59:47 pm »
We did talk to the WT about tree planting grants but they were only available for areas bigger than we wanted to plant (mainly a shelterbelt).

They will be at the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival if folk have questions  :)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:17:54 pm »
I think they suggested a minimum of 1.25 acres but will see what they come back to me and say.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:50:21 pm »
The only downside near us is that fenced woods are sometimes used by some dog owners (not Dogjangos ilk) or dog walkers who use the fenced aspect of it as a reason to not bother training any recall on their four or five dogs, which makes it not great for small children who get bowled over by the hoarde or horseriders who get a bunch of dogs with no owner evident anywhere, running amok round the horses under their legs or holding them at bay.

Agree it's a good idea and very useful for non 100'% with eg deer or livestock dogs, just wish there was still some element of knowing where the dogs were and what they were doing with some owners.

The ones I use are only frequented by me and one other dog walker that I've seen.  In one of the areas I've started to use recently, only seen three horses once and my dogs kept well clear.  But the fencing aspect is exactly why I use it - if my dogs find something interesting and won't recall I know they are safe and can't get on a road.  They don't chase anything now but can sometimes forget I am there if their noses get busy.  These are way out in the country and not so likely to become known unless the Forestry Commission decide to do a publicity campaign on them - even so with a  dozen to choose from within a few miles I can move from one to the other if I find them already populated..  Kids in school when i usually go anyway so not likely to see horses then either.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS