Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weight gain  (Read 7101 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
weight gain
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:23:59 pm »
one of our nannies really lost weight last year and although she has put some on over the summer, she is still under weight. worming is upto date, and always has been (including fluke) so im confident she hasnt had worms. her teeth are fine. she is a lightweight 3 yr old.
what is the best diet to fatten her up? i may not breed from her this year, i just want condition on her.
she is still with a kid but i dont think she is feeding too much now.
they are on ab-lib haylage and ab-lib calf rearer pellets at the moment, plus grazing. she is not greedy or prone to bloat.
she will get a molasses vitamin lick shortly.
any suggestions to fatten her up please?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: weight gain
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »
I had this with Rowan, she was horribly skinny having reared her first set of twins.

I didn't breed her last year and have just made sure she got extra helpings of my general goat feed and the molassed sheep flakey mix. I also gave her a scoop of flaked maize a couple of times a day.

I drench them with a cobalt/selenium mix and also use Caprivite on their feed.

It's worked, she's in good condition again now.

sunnybankpigsandgoats

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:41:30 pm »
Hiya have you tried feeding a goat concentrate? I feed all mine a Haygate goat feed but you can get others that are specifically for dairy breeds etc.  ask at your local feed merchant what they stick and try her with that as well as hay/grazing.  I also had an older goat that was aneamic and the vet suggested an iron supplement which perked her up, he had to tell me a horse one as nothing for goats as usual! He reckoned goats are close to aneamia normally, to check pull down her bottom eye lid and see if it is pale pink ( if pale pink all is ok) however if white she could be aneamic. Hope that helps!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:34:10 pm »
That's a point, my goats get cow dairy nuts when they're pregnant and milking.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:58 pm »
I would give her a multi-vit/mineral drench (a sheep one, but make sure it contains copper), at the same dose rate as for sheep (if you only have a couple of goats it may be cheaper to ask the vet for an injectable one) and also give her a course of Combivit injections to perk her appetite up. However if she kidded this spring she may just take a long time got back into good condition.

If she is milking she definitely would do better on a dairy cow ration, and she should also have a Red Rockie to make sure she gets enough copper.

What breed is she? She may still be growing a bit too....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:30:00 pm »
The concentrate I use is Allen and Page Dairy Goat - not the cheapest but it works well on my goats. My milker also gets dairy nuts and they both have sugar beet (soaked pellets) and Caprivite twice a day and garlic and seaweed added at night.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:39 am »
Better to use Brinicombes   Goat Feed Balancer.....................it contains much higher levels of essential minerals & vitamins than Caprivite.
Goats actually require as much copper as a dairy cow............they get treated like sheep because of size but that is the only resemblance.  A goats metabolic rate is practically 3 times faster than a cow !!!!
Goat feed generally only contains sheep minerals as manufacturers play safe because most goatkeeper/smallholders have sheep.   You are far better to feed cattle Dairy compounds as these are designed for lactating animals..............and are much cheaper because of the volume produced.
I have made a particular study of this issue of feeding................1. to keep down costs, & 2. the ensure our goats get the best available feedstuffs to suit their job.      Feed manufacturers are in business to make money, so repackaging with tweaks to the feed and hey presto, you can charge more.  OK so I am cynical but in a large number of cases this is true.   Because goats are in the minority for the feed industry, it is not cost effective to stop the mills producing huge volumes to do a very small run of goat feed....................think about it.
Allen & Page produce specific goat mixes..............which appear to almost identical to their Calf mix, which is cheaper.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:07 am »
Yep Miss Mostyn Owen when asked her secret to producing good milking goats gave her feed regime and then added "cattle minerals and above all copper (Does them a world of good) "
I also have started giving "Red Cell" if I notice a problem (Learnt that from the USA where they still require a goat to do a job ;)  )

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:12 pm »
What's "Red Cell"?

I have found Caprivite to be an excellent additive - the only problem I have is some of my girls object to anything added to their mix and I now prefer to use a liquid sheep drench with added copper. Mine also get some garlic granules and seaweed granules, but again some have become "allergic"  :-J  to it...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:56 pm »
What's "Red Cell"?

thanks everyone.
we used to give red cell to the horses,20 years ago, when they were competing hard. if i remember right - its a iron/vitamin rich liquid food supplement designed to enrich the blood. where would you buy it ?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:09 pm »
 Red cell is a horse product you are right  :) Any good horse/agricultural place  will sell it.
Google Red Cell for goats and it will lead you to various forums that will tell you when why and what dose (I first heard about it on Goatwisdom  http://goatwisdom.proboards.com/ which also has a Facebook page)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »
does anyone use chaff or chop in the feeds?
and do you mix the wet sugarbeet in with the dairy nuts? - mine tend to prefer dry food, and once the nuts get mushy they waste it. so we have mixed dry sugarbeet in the feeds during winter. is this ok?

does anyone else feed adlib hard feed? mine arent greedy at all.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »
We used to use chaff years ago, but it became hard to get hold of here. We used to feed it separately, as an extra feed, and we do this with soaked beet pulp too- don't mix it.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »
Mine are OK with mixing the damp (but not dripping wet) and still warm shreds into the oats and mix, and until recently also with the dairy nuts. For some unfathomable reason ALL my ladies have decided that dairy nuts are a no-no, and I have for the time given up on them - so it's expensive goat mix all round...eeeek. Will try them on ewe&lamb next, it has to be cheaper than A&P... (they sort of like the 18% calf mix the kids are on, but not much of it... or we have bowls flying through the shed!)

It's never boring with goats, that's for sure!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 10:48:49 pm »
And just to be different, mine likes their food to be sloppy. I use sugar beet pellets and soak them for a few hours in plenty of water them add the dairy goat mix and supplements.

I'm with Anke in liking Caprivite. Mine were on Briniscombe's last year then this year I swapped to Caprivite and her milk yield went up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS