Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A ram that's had his day.....  (Read 8736 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: A ram that's had his day.....
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 08:32:12 am »
When the fallen stock people shoot a sheep for us I am pretty sure they don't pith.  Does this mean there is a chance the animal might regain some sort of consciousness in the wagon?
It may be that they use the captive bolt with a cartridge designed for a larger animal, such as a bull or horse, which I think would mean the brain would be killed outright, potentially even are using something with a free bullet?

Ah, that would make sense; they're bound to need to shoot larger animals too.  Thank you so much, I can put my fears to rest now. :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 07:23:28 am »
Suzanne - thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.  I think I understand it all a lot better now. 

When the fallen stock people shoot a sheep for us I am pretty sure they don't pith.  Does this mean there is a chance the animal might regain some sort of consciousness in the wagon?
It may be that they use the captive bolt with a cartridge designed for a larger animal, such as a bull or horse, which I think would mean the brain would be killed outright, potentially even are using something with a free bullet?
I would be shocked if they were using a light captive bolt stun and not pithing as it would certainly not be in their interests to have anything wake up in the wagon.

Isn't being a knackerman or similar one of the few cases when you are allowed to have a handgun on your ticket?

A friend of mine is a 'keeper on the New Forest and I know he was mulling over applying for one, because he got a lot of calls about deer, ponies etc that had been hit by cars...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 07:44:54 am »
Suzanne - thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.  I think I understand it all a lot better now. 

when a knackerman was at ours, i noticed a sheep was still breathing in the back of his lorry. he said he hadnt shot it it, just picked it up from a farm apparently already dead, but know he realised it wasnt dead, he would shoot it when he was away from my farm. he said his boss would go nuts if any animal was taken back not dead.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 08:27:06 am »
UPDATE my old man when out in the filled this morning and tupped a ewe...think he may be feeling better! Thanks everyone for the comments and really made me realise I need a new vets.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS