Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dalesearch virus on my new laptop  (Read 2085 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Dalesearch virus on my new laptop
« on: September 07, 2013, 03:39:04 pm »
I seem to have somehow acquired dalesearch which seems to be a virus which takes over your browser.

I have done the uninstall bit and also have reset my setting to make google my default.  But it is still there.  I think there might be another one on there as well any thoughts anyone

I have installed Avast but on the free programme, and removed avg
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Dalesearch virus on my new laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:58 pm »
There are probably people who can help better than I can with this... It is possible to run a free test virus scan with Kaspersky, which might help to flush out anything else. I am afraid I used to use avast free several years ago, and then I worked in the online fraud team for a bank and learnt a lot more about viruses. I bite the bullet and pay for protection now.

Hope you get it sorted.

Beth

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:56:05 pm »
For some reason I tried the switchitoff/thenswitchitonagain method and it seems to have worked for the present

What virus protection do you use and how much is it?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »
I use McAfee, the price varies according to what offer is currently on- it seems to be £30 just now, but my renewal date is in November, and I'm sure my renewal was more than £30! When I worked in online fraud Kaspersky was regarding as being the best by our technical teams, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. It's £40 a year.

But we have it covering 2 laptops and a desk top as well, so it does even itself out.

Beth

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:22:19 pm »
We use McAfee as well and have it on 2 desk tops and a lap top.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:39:57 pm »
Kaspersky and McAfee are nightmares to get rid of if you change your mind about them once installed.  Personally I've never had any problems using Microsoft essentials along with a regular defrag on CC cleaner, and Malwarebytes - all free.

But then as an Aberdonian you'd expect me to say that wouldn't you?   :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS