Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: brucellosis  (Read 3318 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
brucellosis
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:24:27 pm »
Hi all anyone ever had a brucellosis test done on there sheep ministry vet coming to test mine, to confirm that Britain has no brucellosis in sheep to the EEC vets. :farmer:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: brucellosis
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »
Yep, mine were done a couple of weeks ago. Blood tests for brucellosis and toxoplasmosis. Nice men - very helpful. Didn't get cross when Jura escaped! I will get the results in due course.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:45:17 pm »
 Yip mine done today very nice young woman and very helpfull she had a Geordie accent which I think is wonderful. Being Shetlands they can be a bit jumpy but overall not to bad the lambs were the worst as they have only been handled a couple of times. :farmer:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:53:01 am »
The EU are adamant that this is present in the UK flock and thats why testing is done.
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:05:29 pm »
ive not heard about this

PuBS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • National
    • PuBSForum
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »
you wont mate its the EU
Nickcordery
PuBSadmin
www.pubs.myfunforum.org

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:50:10 pm »
We used to get the goats tested every few years, but they now seem to have concluded that there isn't any in goats, and the tests have stopped. To be fair I don't think there's much in sheep either.

Beth

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »
Rosemary - do you know why would they be testing for toxoplasmosis as well as brucellosis?   my understanding (from my vet book on sheep!) is that toxo is something that's picked up from cats (or wild animals) that can cause abortion but its not a disease that's passed from sheep to sheep   

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:23:57 pm »
had a phone call earlier tonight from Animal Health saying I'd been picked from a list and they want to come and blood sample all the sheep.  From earlier posts it seems this isnt a big deal and its not likely that theres a problem.   Its just a bit of a pain as the tup is out with the ewes and the ewe lambs are in a separate field with no pen, however, I'll just need to sort something out seeing as its compulsory!

However ...... if you do get a positive test what happens then?   anyone know?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS